My Skink stopped eating

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Kylejs91
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

My Skink stopped eating

Postby Kylejs91 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:24 pm

So I just got a my first BTS 3 weeks ago its a juvenile im amsuming around a month and a half, when i first got him he was eating just fine and then stopped eating out of no where its been 7 days and im so worried hes getting super skinny any help would be appreciated.
kingofnobbys
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Re: My Skink stopped eating

Postby kingofnobbys » Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:34 am

This problem diagnosis chart will guide you in diagnosing what's wrong and why he's off his food ,

( yes I know it's specifically targeted as bearded dragons BUT IMO it's as good a start as any - with a few tweeks for BTs (especially young BTs) .

Really need a lot more information on this setup, the room, and your husbandry to have much chance of helping. The weight loss is a concern , have you tried hand feeding him or offering something like HerpaBoost ?
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:01 am

I don't know what type you have, but if an import (most Indonesian species are) internal parasites could be present. I'd suggest a vet check, would show up in fecal exam. If your temps are good and he is not going into shed and nothing else has changed I'd look into a checkup.
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN
Your Facebook name: Janella Poch

Postby Janella » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:12 am

Definitely agree with Splashy07 on this one. It is not normal for babies to not want to eat. Vet order is a must.
Kylejs91
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Kylejs91 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:27 am

[quote="splashy07"]I don't know what type you have, but if an import (most Indonesian species are) internal parasites could be present. I'd suggest a vet check, would show up in fecal exam. If your temps are good and he is not going into shed and nothing else has changed I'd look into a checkup.[/quotei

I took in a fecal sample today to our local vet im waiting on reults and yes he is an indonesian
Kylejs91
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Kylejs91 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:30 am

I sent in a fecal sample today and the species is an Indonesian, Also i contacted the person who i bought the skink off of he told me to feed him ensure( protein drink)

IMG_0522.JPG

Here's a pictur of him idn if this would help anything
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kingofnobbys
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Postby kingofnobbys » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:53 pm

Kylejs91 wrote:I sent in a fecal sample today and the species is an Indonesian, Also i contacted the person who i bought the skink off of he told me to feed him ensure( protein drink)

IMG_0522.JPG

Here's a pictur of him idn if this would help anything

He's only really young.

Isn't Ensure based on diary ?
.... if so , not a good food to give to a lizard.
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby Janella » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:46 am

I would absolutely NOT give ensure. Your vet should have something called carnivore care that is way better and specific for reptiles. What have you been trying to feed? How is it doing now?
Kylejs91
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Kylejs91 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:32 pm

As of right now, what I have been able to get the guy to eat is baby food i use the mix veggie with the fruit, Sadly enough I wont be able to actually see the herp vet til Tuesday as it being labor day...
Ive also just been letting him soak in some luke warm water im actually not to fully sure if thats helping the situation but it seems hes been enjoying it
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby Janella » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:13 pm

I would add in some sort of high quality protein. They definitely need the protein. Have you seen/read the feeding chart on our forum? If you can follow that to a "T". You have an appointment then at the vet? That is a good thing. It for sure isn't normal to have a baby not eating. Keep us posted.
Kylejs91
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Kylejs91 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:45 pm

I sure will thank you for the concearn it means more than you think, I actually just went and got him some reptile boost until Tuesday to keep some nutrients in him
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby Janella » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:48 pm

No problem at all. The reptiboost will help for sure. Keep working at him. Let us know.
Kylejs91
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Kylejs91 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:04 pm

Well he ended up loving the repta+boost so hopefully thats a good sign, but heres what my diet consisted of up until this all happend:

-Lamb and rice dog food it had no byproducts it was all natural i read the ingredients before fed
-Boiled chicken
-mealworms
-Hard boiled egg just the whites
-blueberries
-banana
-peach
-snail (canosnails)
-green beans
-carrots
-collard greens
-strawberries
-squash
Also this was not all in a single sitting i offered it in a variety
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby Janella » Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:57 am

Hi again, I am glad the reptiboost was a hit. Your diet looks good. The only thing I would change is the meal worms and the lamb dog food. Mealworms have like zero nutrition. The lamb dog food is probably fine, but I personally like to stick with chicken, turkey, or quail based diets. When feeding, do you finely mix everything together? Like blended? I recommend doing that. That way the skinks can't pick out their favorites. Again keep us posted and happy labor day!
kingofnobbys
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Postby kingofnobbys » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:17 am

Janella wrote:Hi again, I am glad the reptiboost was a hit. Your diet looks good. The only thing I would change is the meal worms and the lamb dog food. Mealworms have like zero nutrition. The lamb dog food is probably fine, but I personally like to stick with chicken, turkey, or quail based diets. When feeding, do you finely mix everything together? Like blended? I recommend doing that. That way the skinks can't pick out their favorites. Again keep us posted and happy labor day!

This is a comparison of common feeder insects :

Main problems with mealworms as a feeder insect is their very hard to digest exoskeleton and their very poor Ca/P ratio. Apart from that they are OK.
Kylejs91
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Kylejs91 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:18 pm

Fecal test came back negative no parasites! He's still acting a little lethargic though :/
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby Janella » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:57 pm

Glad to hear the fecal was negative. Did you get him in for a vet visit? How is the eating going?
Kylejs91
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Kylejs91 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:02 pm

He goes to the vet in the morning tomorrow for the day, eating wise hes actually starting to eat on his own a lil bit i just kinda gotta put in front of his face for awhile a then he starts to eat
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby Janella » Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:59 am

Glad to hear you are taking him into the vet for a check up. Hopefully there will be nothing wrong. Keep working on his eating. It is highly unusual for a skink that young to not want to eat. Follow the feeding chart and also remember to ask the vet about carnivore care if it is needed. Good luck.
Kylejs91
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Kylejs91 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:24 pm

Got him back from the vet he's got to have an antibiotic shot every 2 days, they said he will survive but might not live a normal healthy life..

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”