My BTS Mochi hasn't been eating

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
ninjastarsghost
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

My BTS Mochi hasn't been eating

Postby ninjastarsghost » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:55 am

My blue tongue skink mochi hasn't eaten in the past 3-4 days and I'm getting worried. She's new to my home. I've had her for little over a week. She's in a 20 gallon long tank with a UVB 5.0 bulb as well as a daylight 60 watt bulb. At night I turn both of those off to let the temperature drop. Her previous owner gave me some dog food to feed her but she didn't touch it. I'm trying carrots and rasberries at the moment. She also has a worrisome line on her mouth as shown by the pictures. Just wanted to come here and see if what might be the problem.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
alichamp

Re: My BTS Mochi hasn't been eating

Postby alichamp » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:14 pm

I moved this thread over from off topic which is why it has been missed.

How is it going? This looks like a pretty sick skink and has been for some time. Possibly kept in chronically low humidity. Can you post some more pics of the full skink?

I suggest a visit to the vet ASAP.
ninjastarsghost
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby ninjastarsghost » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:49 am

She seems to have started eating again but there is still the build-up on the side of her face on her mouth. The previous owner said he took her to the vet and they said that it was from her rubbing herself raw on her tank and that it wasn't anything to be worried about. I don't know if that's true or not though. Also attached are more pictures and if it is a low humidity problem I have a spare reptile fogger available to raise the humidity.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kingofnobbys
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Postby kingofnobbys » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:51 pm

I think you need to have the infection of his lower jaw checked by a herp/reptile vet , this is likely to need antibiotics and wont go away without proper treatment.
alichamp

Postby alichamp » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:48 am

Nope, I agree with kingofnobbys.

This is a sick skink and I am surprised to seeing the other photos it looks to be a reasonably young one still. To the vet ASAP. looks to me like an Irian Jaya species too, so you should aim for humidity of around 60% for the Indo species. See the FAQs here and species care sheets here.

What temps are you getting on the warm/cool ends? A slight bump in the temp on the warm side might help him fight the illness, but not alone, will need antibiotics too.
ninjastarsghost
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby ninjastarsghost » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:51 am

Turned the humidifier on to raise the humidity. She's 1 and a half years old. Temp is 80 on the cool side and about 85 on the warm side.
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:02 am

He will also need a larger cage to create a temp gradient. 85 is a bit cool for the warm side, especially noting his condition. Very hard to maintain temp gradients in a 20g. Go for at least a 40 breeder, which measures 36x18, or larger. If you can't get one at the time, you can get
(I use these for spares/temporary housing) a tub at a local Walmart or similar type store with those dimensions, and retrofit for lamp and accessories. Mine is currently on loan or I'd send pics. Good luck with him, and please, get him checked out.
ninjastarsghost
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby ninjastarsghost » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:11 am

Actually juat called the vet and will take her on Friday most likely. Already planned to move her to a bigger tank just have to get one, might try a tub for a temp house. Thanks for all the replies and advice. 40 gallon will probably be what I put her in for a while. For the moment though should I get a ceramic?
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN
Your Facebook name: Janella Poch

Postby Janella » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:57 pm

Definitely keep us posted on what the vet says. Glad to read you will get a larger enclosure when you can, a temp gradient is important. Good luck
alichamp

Postby alichamp » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:12 pm

You need to aim for at least 100 degrees at the hot spot and ideally keeping high70s for cool side. Aside from the fact that the skink is sick they won't normally have an appetite if the hot end is not hot enough as they cannot digest food if conditions are too cool - the food just rots in their stomach - so they don't eat under those conditions. Keeping on paper towel until his health improves may be a good idea too.

Glad you are taking to the vet. Let us know how it goes.
ninjastarsghost
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby ninjastarsghost » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:23 pm

I'll be getting a ceramic bulb for her to increase the heat and will be taking her to the vet Friday
ninjastarsghost
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby ninjastarsghost » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:55 am

Update on the situation guys, took mochi to vet and they said the wound on her mouth was likely a small infection and that a secondary hasnt occured yet. Have a cream for her mouth that should help her heal. Vet also gave me an antibiotic to prevent a respiratory infection she had the ealry signs of. So all in all she should be fine after a few more weeks.
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN
Your Facebook name: Janella Poch

Postby Janella » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:05 am

Wonderful news! Thanks for letting us know
BD99
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby BD99 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:48 pm

If its rubbing raw on the tank, that suggests not enough space and not getting out.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”