Newbie looking for my first skink

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
TXscarlet
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Newbie looking for my first skink

Postby TXscarlet » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:36 pm

Hi guys! I'm new here although I've browsed on and off for a couple years. I've wanted a bluey for many years now and I think I'm finally in a position where I have the space for one. I've done some researching on the different sub species and I'm pretty set on an Eastern but I am struggling to find anyone that breeds or sells easterns. So I guess I'm asking if anybody knows of some breeders or other sources where I might could find one, or if there is another species that you think would be good for a beginner. I like the easterns because I want a skunk that is a bit on the smaller side and doesn't have high humidity requirements. I would like a juvenile but I'm not opposed to an adult either.
BlackR0se
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: Newbie looking for my first skink

Postby BlackR0se » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:41 am

I've got a northern bts and she's wonderful :D I got in touch with a breeder from the recommend breeder section on this forum, id try there first. they may be able to point you toward the right person if they them selves dont breed easterns.
kingofnobbys
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Postby kingofnobbys » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:20 am

My two easterns are mega tame and really sweet and smoogy (with us) and follow us around the house like puppies. Both bought as 2 month old babies, now near 8 years old. We've only bred them once (by accident

If want a good skink as a pet , easterns are hard to beat. Then there are lots of smaller skinks around that have the potential to become very good pets too. See viewtopic.php?f=26&t=30016
tbets
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby tbets » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:16 pm

Easterns are pretty hard to come by in the US. If you do happen do come by one then expect to pay a premium for it because they aren't bred too often in the US.

You have a much better bet at finding a nice captive bred and born northern, much easier to find and lower in price (northerns are still a great sub species). However I will agree, easterns are such amazing looking BTS. I'd love to get a jet black one but I don't see that happening unless I want to experience a burning sensation in my wallet haha!
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:53 am

Was hoping to breed Easterns this season, but as it turns out I have all males, so had to get a few more babies this year and start all over again hoping for some girls. No one will sell you an adult, they are sometimes exchanged/traded/sold between breeders. Even babies are very hard to come by, not often listed for sale to the general public. They are still a bit rare over here on this side of the pond. I've got a few Northerns left from my litter of this year, but unfortunately I do not ship and I see you're nowhere near me! My Easterns came from Ron Couto in Florida, but I believe they're sold out for the season. If you are only interested in Easterns, be ready to spend a few bucks. And well worth it, they are amazing.
SkinkAddiction
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Your Facebook name: Rafael Rivera

Postby SkinkAddiction » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:53 am

As mentioned before, Easterns are pretty hard to come by but I have been told they are great/rewarding pets!!
TXscarlet
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby TXscarlet » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:12 am

Thanks guys for the input. I e contacted just about every breeder I can find who deals with easterns, I haven't heard back from Austin or Ray Gurgui yet but so far no luck. I missed out on the litter from Ron Couto, however he said he should have some more next year. I'm pretty set on having an eastern so I don't mind waiting another year if thats what it takes.
SkinkAddiction
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Your Facebook name: Rafael Rivera

Postby SkinkAddiction » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:19 am

Austin and Ray Gurgui won't have any easterns available this year
kingofnobbys
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Postby kingofnobbys » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:26 pm

They are definitely worth waiting for , they make wonderful companion pets.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”