Enclosure Pictures

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
herps101
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: Enclosure Pictures

Postby herps101 » Thu May 26, 2016 5:39 am

This is my setup for my Northern pair. ☺️
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Snowysmom
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Snowysmom » Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:33 am

IMG_20160423_101152.jpg
My 18 month old Merauke's 48x24x18 Cage
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Snowysmom
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Snowysmom » Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:35 am

IMG_20160326_072931_1.jpg
teamh
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Your Facebook name: Not on Facebook, but LOVING instagram: @susanhouts

Postby teamh » Sun Jul 17, 2016 3:50 pm

Here is a pic of our enclosures for our two Halmaheras. They come from C Serpents in South Florida. These are pictures from last year when we first set them up; they are now in our temp-controlled garage:

Dimensions: about 4'X2'
Heat: We are using a radiant heat panel in the upper right and a heat mat directly underneath, allowing for both top and belly heat. We don't use the lights (as our BTS seemed to run from them - my thought is bc they are tropical/rainforest creatures, they don't seek out direct sunlight), but we have the ambient lights on timers to follow the sunrise-sunset.

Since the time these pics were taken, we've added a mist king automatic spray system with a nozzle on the right and left side. Still adjusting the times of spraying (how many times per day and how long per spray) to keep them very hydrated without soaking the substrate). Current substrate is a mix of cypress and aspen. Humidity tends to sit around 80%. (Zipper is shedding right now and is burrowing under like a champ! Shed is looking great! Here is a picture of his glove from earlier today):

Susan and Aaron Houts
Mother of Blueys
See our BTS Family on Instagram: @susanhouts
:sunny: :sunny: :sunny:
StitchedTongueSkink
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby StitchedTongueSkink » Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:04 am

where did you get your enclosures? They're awesome!
Altazimuth
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Altazimuth » Sat Jul 30, 2016 12:39 pm

Finally got home with my new (and first!) arrival. I'm quite happy with how the enclosure turned out, though I'm thinking I might need to tweak a few things; such as reducing the ambient light it gets, and improving airflow (the ends aren't as different in temperature as I'd like).

Tofu-Day_One.jpg
spookysherman
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Your Facebook name: Kale Langley

Postby spookysherman » Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:07 am

My boyfriend and I are first time skink owners, and we built this enclosure this weekend after picking up an 8 month-old Irian Jaya at the Pomona Ca. Reptile Super Show. The substrate on the left is a fibrous mat, and on the right is aspen. The aspen is in a removable drawer for easy cleaning. The red material on the ramp is a medium grain sandpaper to help Sherman trim his nails while roaming like he would in the wild, and we made the walls with a fine aluminum mesh. We're super excited to finally have a BTS and I'd love any feed back from more experienced keepers.
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:37 pm

My horrifically spoiled three and a half month old got a new cage yesterday. It is the first of my many planned upgrades. He already seems more comfortable not being surrounded by glass.
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN
Your Facebook name: Janella Poch

Postby Janella » Fri Sep 02, 2016 5:01 pm

So I decided to switch my new Northern Mintaka off of Kritter Krumble to Jungle Mix with Reptibark on top. I just didn't like how the Kritter Krumble was. Anyways, here is what Mintaka's enclosure looks like now.
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN
Your Facebook name: Janella Poch

Postby Janella » Fri Sep 02, 2016 5:04 pm

Let's try this again... hopefully here is the picture.
spookysherman
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Your Facebook name: Kale Langley

Postby spookysherman » Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:30 pm

I made some updates to Sherman's cage. Mostly I made a fake rock background + platform and put some air plants into the background. The platform turned his bedding box into a cave and gave him some more floor space to explore. I also used a palm frond I found outside (don't worry I baked it in the oven) to make a lean-to and a hide to put on the platform. Here are some pictures of Sherman checking it out for the first time. You can see his cave in the first picture.
coconuttaco
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby coconuttaco » Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:11 pm

My set up for my northern bts. Born on 7/14/16.
He's in the warm hide.
Ashleigh86
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Ashleigh86 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:40 pm

This is my little guy's enclosure! He's an Indonesian bts. It's a 40 gallon zilla criter cage with a sliding screen top that locks in place. The bedding is aspen, moss, and coco bark. I'm using a mercury vapor bulb for uvb, light and heat. There are two half log hides, one on each side and a shallow water dish. Also, two pieces of grapewood.
BlueyNoob
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Your Facebook name: Alexandria Jean Surdu

Postby BlueyNoob » Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:46 pm

Doug seems happy enough in here for now so long as I'm taking him out for regular handling. Planning a 36"x30"x18" tank build for when it warms up in the spring, suggestions welcome :)
Last edited by BlueyNoob on Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*WARNING* I'm a BTS noob, and I'm incredibly anxious so I'll always act like a noob :lol: :helpme: :blah: :thanks:
Laceflower
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Your Facebook name: Cameron Briley

Postby Laceflower » Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:57 pm

This is my 5-month old Northern, Riff-Raff's, enclosure. The tank is a 75-gallon aquarium with a full screen top. The humid hide (middle) I made myself out of an extra-large Tupperware container with some [sanitized] rocks from the yard attached for a more naturalistic look, and which she is currently snuggled up in. All the plants are synthetic, and her substrate is a 50%-25%-25% mix of aspen, cypress, and repti-bark. I use a mix of different bedding to increase the ambient humidity just a bit, as she was having some trouble with dry belly scales, but ever since she's been smooth as silk! (Please excuse the photo quality; all I have is an iPhone and a poorly-lit room).
Aiming for a Master's in Herpetology.
1.0 Northern BTS - Riff-Raff
3.0 Leopard Geckos - Snowblind, Supernaut, Frankie
1.0 Bearded Dragon - Mushu
jmhg11
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby jmhg11 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:09 pm

This is my enclosure for my irian Jaya that I'm picking up on Saturday. I will be building a bigger one soon
Shilo
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Shilo » Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:11 pm

Enclosure has been running for 8 years now and the'res not much I would change apart from my workmanship. The front hinges down and is left open during the day for fresh air, Moko my BTS loves to hang his head over the edge to watch the world go by. In fact if the front is closed he's not happy about it and tries to climb the glass. Has never fallen out in the 8 years I've had him (but I do close it at night or if I have to go away for the day just in case). Side "window" also opens up and in my old place had it opening onto my desk so he could wander around. But that got to be a bit of a pain because for some reason he enjoys crawling over keyboards when I'm typing :roll:

Substrate is a form of kitty litter made from recycled paper. Other substrates are not easy to get here and this brand is cheap, dustless and absorbent.
Hollow log is made from the bark off a piece of Eucalyptus firewood which I soaked in epoxy resin. Tiles lifted so he can burrow under it to sleep. False ceiling to hide wiring and contains insulation to help keep the enclosure warm during winter.

20161210_103709.jpg
coconuttaco
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby coconuttaco » Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:45 pm

6 month old merauke Butterscotch
5 month old northern Andouille
Meeper
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Meeper » Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:38 pm

Upgraded the digs. Susann's tile/hide/basking pvc pipe thing is the BEST.

IMG_20161217_192929988.jpg
IMG_20161217_192956611_HDR.jpg
IMG_20161215_141053825_HDR.jpg
tdobbin
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby tdobbin » Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:55 am

My new 6 foot long by 3 foot tall, 2 foot wide custom enclosure. It has a lot more decorations in it now but I am too lazy to take a new picture lol

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”