New Centipedes!

Anything and everything not pertaining to blue-tongued skinks.
Forum rules
This is the place where anything goes! As long as it adheres to our general rules, you may post about it here; for example, tell us or show us: who you are, what you do, what you love/like/dislike, what you have, what you made, what happened, how you feel, what you think, what you heard, what you read, what you wonder, etc. How about showing us something we’ve never seen before?!
Dakota
Snail Hunter
Snail Hunter
Your Facebook name: Dakota Nivens

New Centipedes!

Postby Dakota » Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:08 pm

OK, I know I've been posting a lot lately, but I could not hold the excitement in. I got my first centipedes today! :woo: My local reptile shop got two in a few months back that I've been eyeing, but never bought. I came in one day, and a female was wrapped around eggs! After that, they took her away to a more secluded place for her to be motherly. The next time I came back, she was back out, but I never seen the babies. Today I went in to get some crickets, and they were out for sale! $5 a piece. Couldn't beat that! So I bought two. I'm in love with them. :cloud9: They are Giant Vietnamese centipedes, Scolopendra subspinipes. I'm unsure of exact subspecies, but I am finding out. Here are the little cuties:

One seems to be acting kinda weird, but the other has already taken a cricket. Hopefully the other one is just shy..

I read their venom is pretty serious, but not likely deadly. I have experience with scorpions, tarantulas, and true spiders -- so I think I'm good to go. I actually had a small colony of black widows as pets when I was young - probably wasn't the best decision of my life. :wink: :D Apparently these grow up to 20 cm. Their mother at the pet store is about this size. Pretty big!

Anyone else keep any creepy crawlies?

ETA:
Motherly love! Phone pic from a while ago.
KIMG4412.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man." — Charles Darwin
NickBrahz
The Undecider
The Undecider

Re: New Centipedes!

Postby NickBrahz » Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:44 am

Awesome looking fellows, have a great contrast between the colours, how is there dietary needs?
Dakota
Snail Hunter
Snail Hunter

Postby Dakota » Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:03 am

Their diet is basically whatever they can kill and eat. :shock: In captivity, most people feed them roaches, crickets, and mice (once big enough).

Sadly, one of them died about an hour after bringing it home. I can only guess it was damaged somehow when the guy picked it up with forceps. But the other one is doing great! Already taken two meals. Here he is eating a medium cricket.

Full body shot:
Image[/url]

Despite how big he looks in my photos, he is only about 1.5" long.
"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man." — Charles Darwin
NickBrahz
The Undecider
The Undecider

Postby NickBrahz » Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:47 am

That's a shame, at least one of them is going strong, it looks like it would take them a year to eat a cricket.
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Sun May 01, 2016 9:21 am

Wow they are so cool! Send more pictures showing their growth, wish I could have but I can't keep anything even remotely venomous because of severe allergies. Keep us posted on progress!! So beautiful. Thinking of getting a millipede.
Dakota
Snail Hunter
Snail Hunter

Postby Dakota » Sun May 01, 2016 11:14 am

I had millipedes once, too. In first grade we were doing a school project with them, and when we were finished — I took them all home. :lol: Fed them potatoes mostly.

The pet store couldn't swap out the one that died because I got the last two, but the one remaining is doing great. Already has his own little lair made. Ate a total of three crickets so far. :shock:

Splashy07, you should post some pics of your Lubber grasshoppers. I see them everywhere on my college campus, and I'm thinking about starting a colony. They're beautiful!
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Mon May 02, 2016 2:44 pm

I had lubbers for over a year, gorgeous things, bought as nymphs at a reptile expo. They're great pets, and so easy to care for. Kids love them and can handle without them jumping and flying away, and they eat from your hand. Note the difference between the nymphs (black) and adults! They look like a different species! They were breeding like crazy, but no fertile eggs. I may try again next time I see them. Sorry for bad cell phone pics, they're all I have.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dakota
Snail Hunter
Snail Hunter

Postby Dakota » Mon May 02, 2016 5:50 pm

Wow, I thought those were different species! :shock: People usually just kill them here — I may spare the lives of a few this summer. :ohyes: Uh oh, looks like I'm turning into a entomoculturist. :doh:
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Tue May 03, 2016 3:18 pm

Aww, how could anyone hurt those gorgeous creatures...I've always loved insects, then it evolved to reptiles but I never lost interest in bugs. Can't wait for my hyalophora cecropia to enclose, raised them from eggs last summer.
Dakota
Snail Hunter
Snail Hunter

Postby Dakota » Tue May 03, 2016 3:25 pm

Gosh, I kept a few caterpillars when I was young, too. :doh: I remember back in Tennessee, I would occasionally find the Hickory Horned Devil — those were SOO scary when I was young. But I wouldn't mind a few of them now. :ohyes:
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Tue May 03, 2016 3:28 pm

Eclose, not enclose! Darn spell check sometimes doesn't recognize bug terms!!
I raised Prometheas too, here they are.
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Tue May 03, 2016 3:30 pm

I have been trying to get regalis for years. You actually found some in the wild? How awesome!
Dakota
Snail Hunter
Snail Hunter

Postby Dakota » Tue May 03, 2016 3:35 pm

Yah, about three in my lifetime. Occasionally find the moths, too. Big! I really like the Luna moth, too. They're beautiful.

You have a beautiful assortment of bugs!
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Wed May 04, 2016 2:36 pm

I've only seen one Luna in the wild, in South Carolina...was on my way to Florida and stopped at Wendy's to get a sandwich and one flitted across the parking lot. I almost dropped dead. I tried to raise them, but the caterpillars did not make it, needless to say I was devastated and did not try again. I find the easiest of the giant silk moths to be the Polyphemus. Here's another fancy of mine, raised from a tiny hatchling from 'bugs in cyberspace', lived for over a year. African giant mantis. Was getting ghost mantises from a friend this month but he said he lost the entire brood, maybe another hatch in about a month. Probably won't be doing much bug stuff this year as I am anticipating baby skinks...hopefully!! I also breed our local mantises every year, they are my favorites but just don't live as long as some of the varieties offered as pets.
Happy bugging! Save some of those sweet lubbers from certain execution! And I will be searching forever for one of those Florida giant katydids!!
Dakota
Snail Hunter
Snail Hunter

Postby Dakota » Thu May 05, 2016 1:41 pm

Another picture of the little dude in all his evil-ness. :twisted: Still doing good. :D
Nae
Forum Graphic Designer
Forum Graphic Designer

Postby Nae » Mon May 23, 2016 5:29 am

I really wish Aus had a variety of insects that can be purchased - Just kinda gotta stick to what we can find in our gardens as far as Im aware :wink:

I used to keep quite a variety of bugs when I was younger - spiders, scorpions, praying mantis, slaters, etc

Feeding the carnivorous ones was always the bigger issue - Living out in the middle of no where I was kinda stuck collecting all the food, and could never collect enough to start any sort of sustainable breeding colony.

The one photo I have - This was Monty, a huntsman spider I had for many years before mum made me release him when we moved cause she would not have him in the car with her :lol:
IMG_0824.JPG

Return to “Everything Off-Topic!”