female pre breeding bloat with mild laboured breathing?

This Forum is for scientific, medical, pathological, environmental, etc. discussions.
Rules are different for this forum, be sure to read through them inside.
Forum rules
The rules for this forum are different from all the others on this site.
1) Questions regarding sick skinks do not belong here.
2) If you are not sure if your topic is OK here, post it in the General Discussion forum; a moderator can then move it here if appropriate.
3) This forum is for advanced discussions, such as scientific, medical, reproductive, pathological, environmental, etc.
4) PROOF, FACT, and BACK IT UP are three things to keep in mind when posting.
5) Comments need to add to the discussion. “Good job”, “I agree”, or “Nice skink” etc, do not add to the discussion and are not allowed here. If stating an opinion, back it up with what experiences have led to that opinion.
6) The 3 month rule is not in effect; you may post on any thread no matter how old it is.
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan

female pre breeding bloat with mild laboured breathing?

Postby Richard.C » Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:17 am

Hi guys,

Something ive noticed with female northerns the last few seasons is just prior to being ripe for males they suddenly appear to bloat right up,and appear to breath differently,not unlike laboured breathing in late termers but slower and gentler if that makes sense

Yesterday my female western whom hasnt been eating overly much started doing this breathing,she came out of brumation pretty solid,so i grabbed her out for a closer look and she was extremely bloated,and stiff feeling like an over inflated football,you could clearly see she had increased in girth imensley,a couple of female bluemountains blotch females shed yesterday to and they both apear to have bloated,with one of those bloating immensley to with same over inflated football feel and can clearly see her bloating,the other girl not so noticable

Is this something other breeders see with there animals prior to males showing interest?
Lauriek
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Re: female pre breeding bloat with mild laboured breathing?

Postby Lauriek » Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:34 am

Richard, I've got two female blotchies - Barnum & Bliss. I've had them for over 5 years and I've not seen this. Both have had young. Bailey (male) is in with Barnum at the moment. We might get some bubs! Both females went into brumation with good condition and they're in good condition at the moment.

For how long have you observed this?
Laurie & A Band O' Blotchies - Bliss (RIP). Barnum the Old Blotchie. Binti, the rescued Blotchie. The Shingles - Solomon & Sheba (Miss Houdini)

Be humble, because you are made of the Earth. Be noble, because you are made of the Stars. - Serbian proverb.
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan

Postby Richard.C » Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:52 am

Well i dont generally overly handle them so possably miss this thing alot,but have seen this with northern females the past 4 seasons,more the bloated look out of the blue like they have just woofed down a huge amount of food,my blotchies are usually outdoors and i mostly just watch them,but have seen a few females do the bloat over the years,but havnt really paid to much attention to it,especially with outdoors blotchies as they have usually started to eat pretty well by the time mating starts,joys of melb weather,lol

One of the northern females i see really bloats out of the blue,she feels tighter when it occurs but still soft,the western female and one bluemountains female yesterday really showed signs of what the northern females were doing back before they bred so i decided to check them out,id held them both earlier in the day and days leading up to yesterday and whilst solid,they felt flaccid/soft normal but yesterday afternoon,i didnt feed them and didnt water them they both had appeared to double in girth and on grabbing them were both extremely taught,males in with them have also recently shed with male western starting to drop a lot of sperm plugs,which hopefully means timings looking good

I will say this,after breeding,the northerns also do a similar thing where they bloat up again and males stop showing interest in them,which i see as the female has ovulated,signalling the males to stop showing interest

Thinking back to my old breeding pr of shingles,the female used to also do this,she would go very taught out of the blue as well,but to be honest most of the time i never saw them actually mating
Scotts1au
Great Scott
Great Scott

Postby Scotts1au » Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:34 am

I notice that my girls look as big if not fatter after Brumating as they do before, but they do appear to drink a lot prior to shedding for the first time. I'm constantly filling the water bowls.
If you wait, all that happens is that you get older. M. Andretti
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan

Postby Richard.C » Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:56 am

Bummer the blotch females gone back to her normalish self,so cant show you what i mean,the western female doesnt feel quite as inflated but still is quite bloated so took some pics
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan

Postby Richard.C » Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:03 am

20140928_234906-1.jpg
20140928_234826-1.jpg

20140928_234922-1.jpg

Last pic with male and there cage mate,a young male new england cunningham i had to seperate from there group as it was getting beat up,confirmed male as its been dropping sperm plugs to

This western females normally pretty solid anyways especially compared to male but ive never felt her bloat like this before,tonight shes not as bad as uesterday but still reasonably bloated feeling and breathing still appears laboured
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan

Postby Richard.C » Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:07 am

20140923_000110-1.jpg

Heres a pic from a few days ago when male started dropping sperm plugs,shes still wide looking here but from top to bottom no where near as thick,and she felt soft and flaccid in comparison
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan

Postby Richard.C » Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:43 pm

20140927_160210-1.jpg

The bluemountains blotch i was talking about,i first noticed she looked tankier when she started her shed cycle,when i picked her up i noticed she was feeling more rigid,at the time i just thought perhaps due to shedding

20140927_155140-2.jpg

That her when i first noticed her starting to shed,in the corner,looking at the broght yellow bluemountains girl,i did notice she appeared to thicken to,shes a chunk anyways and it didnt occur to me to check her out,but she went quite lethargic to,stopped her activity and sat around looking uncomfy with the odd breathing,mind u she was grabbing at young ones just after her shedding making me wonder what the hecks going on and looking how another males behaving right now,i think i may have missed something,ill wait and see what happens and come back to that,lol

20140927_174316-1.jpg

Heres the bloating bluemountains lass just after shedding,she didnt fullu bloat till later that day and i stupidly didnt get a pic but in this pic she was still noticably solider

20140929_101316-1.jpg
20140929_101316-1.jpg

And here she is right now,a day and a half later,if u look at her nose you will notice shes just had a feed to,but shes gone back down,all soft and gooey feeling again and her activity levels are back to normal

Ill keep watching the other females and try and get some better pics of it

Oh and western female hasnt shed yet so not attributing it to shedding,not just yet anyways,lol
Scotts1au
Great Scott
Great Scott

Postby Scotts1au » Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:16 pm

I'm pretty sure you'lle find it related to their fluid intake, the females blotches expell a lot as well, much more than males, or even easterns. I don't know why, could be related to hormones.
If you wait, all that happens is that you get older. M. Andretti
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan

Postby Richard.C » Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:08 pm

Could be something of that ilk scott,ive see same in a western female,possably in an old sa one i had as well and my old female shingle,as well as a handfull of northern females

Ill have to keep an eye out in future and see what happens with others,with the blotch females it seems to be happening around time of shedding and just after,but the other 3 have all done it a while before shedding,and with the northerns it happens in the lead up to breeding,but some female blotchies have been bred long before they have shed,but from memory alot of females outdoors do tend to shed first
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan

Postby Richard.C » Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:37 pm

20141107_152021-1.jpg
20141107_152058-1.jpg

ok high black female vic alpine who shed recently is now doing the bloat thing,i havnt seen any males show interest in her yet ,no scuffing yet either,so will be interesting to see what happens when she goes back to normal,its hard to show in the pics,but she feels very stiff and trying to holf with one hand seems to be very uncomfy for them,i think it has to do with female follicles ripening and is a pre breeding type of thing

its in the low 30s here todau and all the blotchies are hiding in the shade,so havnt seen any mating,though first female that got coveted is pacing and every time she comes across one of the males she stops and does a slow tail wag,her shoulders alreadu appear quite scuffed,so probably been covered alot already,she actually looks half as solid now as she did doing the bloat a couple of weeks back,but admittedly hasnt been eating a huge amount at feed time like some of the other girls
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan

Postby Richard.C » Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:48 pm

a quick rehash on what im talking about

this swelling(bloating) seems to only be at its peak for less than 12 hours,they stay thick for a while,though at the peak they feel so tight like an over inflated football and appear uncomfy and just sit around during the peak,also when the odd breathing is most noticable

its something i have seen abit over the years but havnt looked closely at,as i dont normally go pick them up all the time,this season i have though to suss it more

most have shown it just before or during a shed cycle,this latest lass had already shed,shes a bit of an odd ball though,she always seems one of the later bred ones but has an uncanny ability to be first to drop,i think perhaps her large amounts of black mu help her with a faster gestation,but thats just a guess,but she seems to dropp between 2 to 4 weeks earlier than her mum and sibs, and is the only blotchie ive ever had drop in feb,though that year she had still borns to and spat one out 2 weeks after she origionally dropped babies,shes the stillborn dropper on my u tube page
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan

Postby Richard.C » Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:17 pm

20140924_123440-2.jpg

long skinny lowlands female couple of weeks back but showing her usual petite build

20141116_125826-1.jpg
20141116_125623-1.jpg

here she is today,bloated and starting a shed,she almost appears to roll over when she tries running odd like a late termer
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan

Postby Richard.C » Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:34 pm

20141120_132538-1.jpg

same female from other day,all shed and deflated,just took this pic after she had finished devouring food

all the males in that cage have shed now,couple of girls to,so just a couple more girls to go,still havnt seen any action with the lowlands but timing of shedding with them all is following what happened with vic alpines at start of november and these guys on average start a couple of weeks after the alpines

Return to “Advanced BTS Discussion”