My bluey will not poo-ey! (help please?)

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Paintbrusches
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

My bluey will not poo-ey! (help please?)

Postby Paintbrusches » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:24 pm

I've had my lil' buddy Daisy since February, and up until about a month ago he was doing great! But now he hasn't pooped in over a week, and he isn't very hungry anymore. He's always been on the lazy side, and when i take him out of his tank, he acts like the Daisy I know and love! but I know somethin's up. Every day now, I've been giving him warm baths and tummy rubs, and cut down on his feeding drastically, giving him a few bites of zucchini squash once a week...I've given him a bit of olive oil, which usually opens him right up, but it's not doing the trick this time. We just dropped a decent amount of money in the past weeks, and really don't have the budget for a trip to the vet. Is there anything else I can do to help my skink? :helpme:
Susann
ADMIN
ADMIN

Re: My bluey will not poo-ey! (help please?)

Postby Susann » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:36 pm

Have you tried feeding banana and egg?
What kind of substrate do you have? Many times they actually do poop, but get creative with hiding it. In the summertime sometimes if the tank is warmer than usual the poop can dry up really fast and disappear into the substrate.
If he is still active when you get him out, I don't think I'd be overly concerned, especially since you've cut back on his food. I might try the opposite if I were you. Give him a good, big meal with some egg in it, and the next day keep him out of the tank and active as much as possible, so you don't miss when he goes. But from what I hear, after feeding eggs, you may very well not need to see it to know he's pooped. :) :dead:
Breeder and keeper of Meraukes from 2010 to 2022.
Paintbrusches
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Paintbrusches » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:45 pm

We are going shopping tomorrow, so i will definitely put banana on the list! he lives in "Repti-bark" substrate, and i frequently check everywhere to look for the slightest bit of excrement, because right now, every bit counts!! the last time i fed him, (two days ago) i gave him quite a helping of squash with a hint of olive oil, but so far I've seen nothing in exchange..i will confess, I overestimated the power of light bulbs, and the warmest his tank gets is in the upper 80s-lower 90s. His UVB bulb burned out a couple of days ago (two weeks after i got it!!) and right now he is under a 75 watt day and night lamp. I would love to get a Powersun bulb, but the 100w bulb is 60 bucks! yeowch!
Susann
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby Susann » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:52 pm

Reptibark hides poop really well. But to make sure you could put him on paper towels until he goes --beats paying for a vet.
The low temps may have something to do with him not pooping, if he really isn't. Upper 90's to low 100's is recommended for proper digestion.
Susann
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby Susann » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:55 pm

Oh, and don't get me wrong, I'm not saying there's nothing wrong; we could be talking about obstruction/impaction, which can be extremely serious.
donkeybuff
Coffee Connoisseur
Coffee Connoisseur

Postby donkeybuff » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:00 pm

A week really isn't too long. I would suggest waiting another few days to a week. This happened to my indo once, and after about 10 days, a normal poop came out. Remember, their metabolisms are slower than ours, so things can happen a lot slower in terms of their digestive and excretory systems. Susann is right though, the temperature on the hot side should really be 90-100 (preferably on the higher end of that spectrum). If you had him roaming outside the cage, can you think of anything that he might have eaten? I know that once someone's skink ate a camera wrist strap.
Sachin
1.0 Indonesian
1.0 Northern
Susann
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby Susann » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:07 pm

Oh, shoot, I missed the part about it only being a week; I just read that he was doing great up until a month ago, and was thinking it had been a month! A week, even a few weeks is generally absolutely nothing to worry about.
Paintbrusches
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Paintbrusches » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:34 pm

donkeybuff wrote:A week really isn't too long. I would suggest waiting another few days to a week. This happened to my indo once, and after about 10 days, a normal poop came out. Remember, their metabolisms are slower than ours, so things can happen a lot slower in terms of their digestive and excretory systems. Susann is right though, the temperature on the hot side should really be 90-100 (preferably on the higher end of that spectrum). If you had him roaming outside the cage, can you think of anything that he might have eaten? I know that once someone's skink ate a camera wrist strap.

I keep a very close eye on Daisy when he walks around, it's usually only in my bedroom and in the yard. The only thing he could get into are the socks laying around :lol: this is my first Blue-tongue to own, and I figured a lil over a week is a long time to go without a bowel movement! (according to us humans, that is) and I guess I'm just being extra careful with my baby!
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan

Postby Richard.C » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:52 pm

if it hasnt been eating alot its got nothing to poop
Alicia P
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Alicia P » Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:28 pm

I use a higher wattage halogen bulb, I think it's 75 w, for a basking bulb. They get hotter than regular bulbs and don't cost that much. I got a 2pk at the grocery store for under $15.
Haley
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Haley » Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:46 pm

I am having the exact same worry with my little Malygos right now. I will try the banana idea and keep an eye on him. Thank you for posting! I had the exact same thought about the length of time, however it seems I may just be over worried.
0.0.1 Northern Blue Tongue

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”