Breeding Northerns

This Forum is for scientific, medical, pathological, environmental, etc. discussions.
Rules are different for this forum, be sure to read through them inside.
Forum rules
The rules for this forum are different from all the others on this site.
1) Questions regarding sick skinks do not belong here.
2) If you are not sure if your topic is OK here, post it in the General Discussion forum; a moderator can then move it here if appropriate.
3) This forum is for advanced discussions, such as scientific, medical, reproductive, pathological, environmental, etc.
4) PROOF, FACT, and BACK IT UP are three things to keep in mind when posting.
5) Comments need to add to the discussion. “Good job”, “I agree”, or “Nice skink” etc, do not add to the discussion and are not allowed here. If stating an opinion, back it up with what experiences have led to that opinion.
6) The 3 month rule is not in effect; you may post on any thread no matter how old it is.
Scincoides

Re: Breeding Northerns

Postby Scincoides » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:19 pm

Still no luck. My male did manage to remove four toes from one of my girls though. Probably would have taken the whole foot if I hadn't seperated them so fast. My window for the season is probably gone now :( I doubt my females are ovulating anymore, but I'll keep trying off and on
Austin & Danielle
12.28.12 Northerns
4.6.2 Kei Island
12.6.2 Meraukes
3.4.8 Irian Jayas
2.5.3 Easterns
1.2 Halmahera
1.1 Indonesian
2.3 Tanimbar
0.0.1 Blotched
1.0 Egernia Striolata
1.1 Egernia Cunninghami
1.1 Egernia C. Krefti
1.2 Bellatorias frerei
1.1 H. Gerrardii

http://www.scincoides.com
dsteamn
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict

Postby dsteamn » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:21 am

Maybe he's gay and just doesn't like girl lizards. Ha ha.

My male usually only has a little foreplay the first couple of times they get together before they get down to business. Sometimes the female gets frustrated and bites him a couple of times to get him on the right track. Then he gets serious and gets the job done. When finished, he's quite shy of the female and will even bury his head in the substrate to try and get away from her as she's sometimes ready for a second go round.
hurricanejen
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Postby hurricanejen » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:16 am

It may also be late in the year? Not 100% sure but mine all wake up in early spring, breed, and I start having babies drop around now. The male is initially super aggressive and attempts to breed everything (including leopard tortoises), then after a couple months he winds down to his usual laid back self, and he's done with the breeding. I tried pairing him with a couple 2 - 3 year old females about a month or so ago (he had last bred in January) and he got the snot kicked out of him and was completely uninterested in trying to breed.

Me, I think it's just season, so if you're in AZ, I'm sure it was warm enough to wake up your skinks months ago. Maybe it's just too late in the year to pair them?
I used to be cool.
Scincoides

Postby Scincoides » Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:22 pm

Hi jen, thanks for the input. Where we are located in Az, it snows off and on all through February and into the beggining of march. I waited till late march to start pairing because I couldn't get the house warmer than 68 so I figured that I'd wait till the weather got a little better so that I would have consistantly warm temps in the enclosures. No drastic night time temp drops in particular.
Austin & Danielle
12.28.12 Northerns
4.6.2 Kei Island
12.6.2 Meraukes
3.4.8 Irian Jayas
2.5.3 Easterns
1.2 Halmahera
1.1 Indonesian
2.3 Tanimbar
0.0.1 Blotched
1.0 Egernia Striolata
1.1 Egernia Cunninghami
1.1 Egernia C. Krefti
1.2 Bellatorias frerei
1.1 H. Gerrardii

Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan

Postby Richard.C » Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:56 pm

do u supply warmth still during the day over cool period?????

if so,they usually breed long before spring warming,dry season breeding,i leave same heat on mine year round during the day,but never night heat,so winter nights get cool,mine start breeding when temps are at there coolest,middle of winter,mid to late july usually,depending on ambients,theres a strong chance you were to late in pairing them,females windows already closed

just a thought anyhow
Scincoides

Postby Scincoides » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:04 pm

I do supply winter warmth, but not as much, I use a 40 watt bulb instead of a 75 watt. No night heat. So next year I will try pairing them earlier in the year and see what happens.
Austin & Danielle
12.28.12 Northerns
4.6.2 Kei Island
12.6.2 Meraukes
3.4.8 Irian Jayas
2.5.3 Easterns
1.2 Halmahera
1.1 Indonesian
2.3 Tanimbar
0.0.1 Blotched
1.0 Egernia Striolata
1.1 Egernia Cunninghami
1.1 Egernia C. Krefti
1.2 Bellatorias frerei
1.1 H. Gerrardii

Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan

Postby Richard.C » Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:22 pm

that's all I can think of,perhaps just the timing
StaceyLeigh
Northern Love
Northern Love

Postby StaceyLeigh » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:24 am

My 2 paired up very early (my 1st year) around mid dec. I live in the Northeast (NY) I went off my males cues. He woke up early and was very restless always trying to get out of his tank and not eating much. He mated with my female 4 times between Dec 14-20th. I got a healthy litter of 11. I plan to watch again this next season and see if he follows this pattern to mate earlier. I still provided normal day heat temps, but night was much cooler 65-70.
critterguy
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict

Postby critterguy » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:32 am

Interesting. I had 2 matings with 1 female, and 4 with another in late feb/early march. The female that mated 2x gave birth to 13 babies 2 weeks ago(1 was stillborn, another was very small and did not make it leaving 11 good babies).
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan

Postby Richard.C » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:00 pm

northerns are quite forgiving in regards to cycling

with leaving winter day heat,they often choose to stay down cool end anyhow so its kind of like a full shut down but by there choosing

my 2 young males are starting to show interest now,grabbing and vent checking a female,they are also popping hemipenes with every poop and dropping sperm plugs,females arent quite ready but must be getting close
critterguy
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict

Postby critterguy » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:16 am

Its interesting I have two adults atm and the male is almost always on the warm side of the cage. My female by contrast is always on the cool side(she has a kleenex box she likes to hide in). The tubs are side by side and the temp gradients have to be very similar. I've tried putting a hide on each side and so far she's consistently been in the cool one.
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan

Postby Richard.C » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:01 pm

the females seem to choose cold areas more than males,my males in comparison pop out and bask more often,even 1 male who lives with a couple of females

Return to “Advanced BTS Discussion”