Bad advice from Wikipedia

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
kaijubait
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Bad advice from Wikipedia

Postby kaijubait » Wed May 09, 2007 1:29 pm

Looked up Blue Tongued Skinks on Wikipedia and found the following:

"Some of the items that will help your lizard to survive for longer is a heat rock, that plugs into a power point. That can be left on all the time where as the heat lamp must be turned off at night."

Makes me wonder how reliable any of that other info is...
Chase
Suave Sage
Suave Sage

Re: Bad advice from Wikipedia

Postby Chase » Wed May 09, 2007 1:34 pm

kaijubait wrote:Looked up Blue Tongued Skinks on Wikipedia and found the following:

"Some of the items that will help your lizard to survive for longer is a heat rock, that plugs into a power point. That can be left on all the time where as the heat lamp must be turned off at night."

Makes me wonder how reliable any of that other info is...

:rofl: survive longer. What a moron.
Marie
Eagle Eye
Eagle Eye

Postby Marie » Wed May 09, 2007 1:42 pm

Is somebody going to edit it?
1.2.0 Irian Jayas - "Gargamel", "Gloria" aka "Lil Thang"
0.0.1 Tanimbar - "Pandora"
RIP "Popsicle"
Chase
Suave Sage
Suave Sage

Postby Chase » Wed May 09, 2007 1:43 pm

Marie wrote:Is somebody going to edit it?

I got rid of the major stuff. I didn't have a chance to read it thoroughly.
Zach
Grand Cicada
Grand Cicada

Postby Zach » Wed May 09, 2007 1:57 pm

What kid is writing this crap?

Some of the major problems and dangers for lizards is other pets such as the family cat or dog, and if the lizard is small enough even birds, the tank should be cleaned at least once a week to keep your lizard healthy. What you need to look out for when buying a lizard of finding one is mites. These annoying little bugs live under the scales of the lizard, usually around the lizards front legs, they can also be found in the ears. These bugs are fairly small and look a bit like black sprinkles with legs. They move quite fast, but a daily bath for about five minutes every day for a month should cure them.

+ 2.2 Irian Jaya (Slurpy, Nona, Sassy, Cool Moe Dee)
+ 1.1 Eastern (Eugene, Enzo)
+ 1.2 Northern (Niko, Pearl, Peach)
+ 1.0 Tanimbar Island (TQ)
Zach
Grand Cicada
Grand Cicada

Postby Zach » Wed May 09, 2007 2:00 pm

Ugh, looks like some kid edited nearly the whole thing...looks like you don't even have to be registered to edit.

Bird_Brain
The Happy Hitman
The Happy Hitman

Postby Bird_Brain » Wed May 09, 2007 2:23 pm

And this is the reason that the prof.'s dont allow you to use wikipedia as a source in a paper.
Brad
Chase
Suave Sage
Suave Sage

Postby Chase » Wed May 09, 2007 2:53 pm

reptileking wrote:And this is the reason that the prof.'s dont allow you to use wikipedia as a source in a paper.

Encyclopedia brittanica has 3 errors for every 4 on wikipedia.
Chase
Suave Sage
Suave Sage

Postby Chase » Wed May 09, 2007 3:08 pm

The person who wrote that should be slapped with the bluey bible until some of the knowledge is embedded in their head! ( literally and metaphorically speaking) :lol:
Omega
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Postby Omega » Wed May 09, 2007 6:44 pm

reptileking wrote:And this is the reason that the prof.'s dont allow you to use wikipedia as a source in a paper.

Indeed. Much more reliable to check the sources of the wikipedia article. If there aren't any, you never know. But, for some stuff, it is very accurate.
Zach
Grand Cicada
Grand Cicada

Postby Zach » Wed May 09, 2007 6:51 pm

Chase wrote:The person who wrote that should be slapped with the bluey bible until some of the knowledge is embedded in their head! ( literally and metaphorically speaking) :lol:

:lol:

mouseinamilkbottle
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Postby mouseinamilkbottle » Wed May 09, 2007 6:58 pm

Yeah, for some things it's excellent.
(For example, this comprehensive and detailed page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asperger_syndrome )

For others it's got nothing, only minimal information, or it's downright inaccurate or biased. But that's what you get with something open to modification by everybody. You can get some very inaccurate things in books, too, and that's a lot more permanent.
Ruth
--------

Mum of
Drazil - 126 grams
and
Tye - 173 grams
(Four-month-old Easterns)
KyleWeiss
Minister of Propaganda
Minister of Propaganda

Postby KyleWeiss » Thu May 10, 2007 6:59 pm

The one thing I've done editing the Wikipedia references is putting a link to BTS.net. :edward: It sticks to the T. sp.sp. page but not always the main one... probably the kid editing the whole thing is offended by us.

Wikipedia is pretty much a waste of time. It's entertaining, however.

KW
Goodbye, BTS.net -- We've had to good times. I do hope someone else will come along and make it the lovely community it once was.
Tyzo
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Tyzo » Thu May 10, 2007 11:30 pm

Chase wrote:The person who wrote that should be slapped with the bluey bible until some of the knowledge is embedded in their head! ( literally and metaphorically speaking) :lol:

Knowledge by osmosis, eh?
Crunchbite Northern BTS 1-0-0
KyleWeiss
Minister of Propaganda
Minister of Propaganda

Postby KyleWeiss » Thu May 10, 2007 11:45 pm

Tyzo wrote:

Call it what you like... :hehe: Vengeance has many names. :notwise: :hehe:

KW
Goodbye, BTS.net -- We've had to good times. I do hope someone else will come along and make it the lovely community it once was.
Leigh
Leigh of the Law
Leigh of the Law

Postby Leigh » Fri May 11, 2007 3:46 am

KyleWeiss wrote:The one thing I've done editing the Wikipedia references is putting a link to BTS.net. :edward: It sticks to the T. sp.sp. page but not always the main one... probably the kid editing the whole thing is offended by us.

Wikipedia is pretty much a waste of time. It's entertaining, however.

KW

Could be an even more embarrassed, so say knowledgeable adult :teach: :oops:
MMMmmmmm... Something???????
KyleWeiss
Minister of Propaganda
Minister of Propaganda

Postby KyleWeiss » Fri May 11, 2007 11:49 am

It could be... and what a sad realization to our state of affairs... :roll: :lol:

KW
Nature's Gift
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Nature's Gift » Sat May 12, 2007 6:12 am

Wikipedia is good because it is open source and therefore allows people to read the crap and submit more accurate information. The exchange of information is always thwart with errors but it beats nothing at all.
I do not suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
Nature's Gift
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Nature's Gift » Sat May 12, 2007 6:30 am

We have always relied on information printed or otherwise - and it needs to be cited. Cited from what some-one else said. (?) Unless you can use primary sources it will be filled with bias and interpretation and even the most cited documents and referenced facilities in the world are full of mistakes and bigger mistakes. I think this leads to discussion, investigation and eventually, more exchange of ideas and knowledge.

How can you disgard a resource like that when we have the media and "E-oline" to rely on otherwise.

I admit it's full of rubbish but I reckon it's a great thing as long as people treat their sources - whether history books or encyclopedias with adequate discretion and are always mindful of human error.

Hope the bluey thingi has been fixed. And with that though in mind, what reference are you going to cite ...... "my Northern liked.....". It's a tricky situation.
I do not suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
Chase
Suave Sage
Suave Sage

Postby Chase » Sat May 12, 2007 7:31 am

Tyzo wrote:

Technically it'd be diffusion, but hey, who cares?

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”