Searching For An Adoptable Bluey!

Buying? Selling? Requests? Post them here. BTS ONLY!
Forum rules
This board is for BLUE TONGUE SKINKS ONLY!
echo.the.gecko
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Searching For An Adoptable Bluey!

Postby echo.the.gecko » Mon May 21, 2018 2:01 pm

Hello! I am new to the forum, so please tell me if I did anything wrong. Anyway, I am searching for a northern blue tongue skink. I would like to adopt, rather than buy, one. Gender doesn't matter, nor does age. Thanks!
kingofnobbys
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Re: Searching For An Adoptable Bluey!

Postby kingofnobbys » Wed May 23, 2018 5:00 am

echo.the.gecko wrote:Hello! I am new to the forum, so please tell me if I did anything wrong. Anyway, I am searching for a northern blue tongue skink. I would like to adopt, rather than buy, one. Gender doesn't matter, nor does age. Thanks!

I'm sure someone here can point you in the direction of reptile rescue group in your neck of the woods who may have a NTBS who has been rescued or handed in or found and is in need of good home and someone to provide it with it's needs and some love.

But before you acquire a skink , please make sure you have done your homework and researched what the requirements are to make a pet skink happy and to give it the best future possible , it's not a trivial task caring for a pet lizard even if it's perfectly healthy , and it's going to be expensive setting up a good tank for an adult NBTS ( nothing under 4ft L x 2ft W and 18in T will be suitable , and you need to provide proper heating and UV (A & B) for at least 14 hr per day , and live insects & veg and greens & suppliments & make provision for vet care (can be very expensive).
echo.the.gecko
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby echo.the.gecko » Wed May 23, 2018 2:57 pm

kingofnobbys wrote:
echo.the.gecko wrote:Hello! I am new to the forum, so please tell me if I did anything wrong. Anyway, I am searching for a northern blue tongue skink. I would like to adopt, rather than buy, one. Gender doesn't matter, nor does age. Thanks!

I'm sure someone here can point you in the direction of reptile rescue group in your neck of the woods who may have a NTBS who has been rescued or handed in or found and is in need of good home and someone to provide it with it's needs and some love.

But before you acquire a skink , please make sure you have done your homework and researched what the requirements are to make a pet skink happy and to give it the best future possible , it's not a trivial task caring for a pet lizard even if it's perfectly healthy , and it's going to be expensive setting up a good tank for an adult NBTS ( nothing under 4ft L x 2ft W and 18in T will be suitable , and you need to provide proper heating and UV (A & B) for at least 14 hr per day , and live insects & veg and greens & suppliments & make provision for vet care (can be very expensive).

I have been researching for around a year and a half now, so I know I’m prepared. Just can’t seem to find one, and I’ve been looking for around three months! If you know of anyone who may be able to help, please point them in my direction. Thanks!
Happyherper
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Happyherper » Fri May 25, 2018 7:38 am

I would find the local reptile rescue.
kingofnobbys
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Postby kingofnobbys » Fri May 25, 2018 8:40 am

Happyherper wrote:I would find the local reptile rescue.

or local herping club .... ours often organized rehoming of pet reptile who needed a new keeper for one reason or another , often for free , someone would take it home and look after it temporarily until a permanent home could be found for it.

I think you need to be prepared to actually buy the skink though as not many will "just you a skink just because you want one" especially a species which is scarce and hard to find for sale in your country. I'd be budgeting for that , as well as the one off expenses of setting up its viv , and it's ongoing living expenses , disposables , and regular light replacements , and be setting aside money (I'd have at least $500 set aside) for unexpected vet care expenses.
echo.the.gecko
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby echo.the.gecko » Fri May 25, 2018 9:41 am

We do not really have one in my area. There are some a couple hours away, but I've called and they said they haven't gotten them in for a while.

kingofnobbys wrote:

or local herping club .... ours often organized rehoming of pet reptile who needed a new keeper for one reason or another , often for free , someone would take it home and look after it temporarily until a permanent home could be found for it.

I think you need to be prepared to actually buy the skink though as not many will "just you a skink just because you want one" especially a species which is scarce and hard to find for sale in your country. I'd be budgeting for that , as well as the one off expenses of setting up its viv , and it's ongoing living expenses , disposables , and regular light replacements , and be setting aside money (I'd have at least $500 set aside) for unexpected vet care expenses.

I have everything already, except for the skink. It's not about the price of buying a skink, I'm just more into adopting animals then buying. I'd pay a $500 adoption fee, I just want to adopt one that needs a home. :)
kingofnobbys
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Postby kingofnobbys » Fri May 25, 2018 11:11 am

echo.the.gecko
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby echo.the.gecko » Sat May 26, 2018 8:39 am

kingofnobbys wrote:try this breeder : https://www.reptilemountain.com/2018-northerns-for-sale

I’ve looked into this breeder, but I’d really rather adopt. I guess I’ll just keep searching...
Leigti
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Leigti » Sun May 27, 2018 11:17 am

I don’t think you’re going to be able to find one anytime soon. If money is not the issue then go ahead and buy one from a reputable breeder. You know it’s healthy, you know it’s background.
kingofnobbys
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Postby kingofnobbys » Sun May 27, 2018 9:27 pm

i agree , "looking for a NBTS for free " sends a very bad signal to anyone who has one that might be needing rehoming .... the inferences are ;
>>> you are not going to be able to care for it properly ( no $ )
>>> you are not serious about getting one as a long term pet
>>> you are looking to make money on it (by immediately selling it or breeding it)

all these inferences may be wrong and unfair to you , but keep in mind that none of us know you as a person and while you claim you have everything already (except the skink) you have not voluntarily shown this to us (photos and detailed descriptions would help).

Since you are in the USA ,you can likely expect to fork out up to $1000 for good baby NBTS because they are very scarce there and there are very few breeders and it's strictly illegal to take these from the wild here and illegal for keepers / breeders to sell them for export which also restricts the supply of these skinks in the USA.
echo.the.gecko
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby echo.the.gecko » Mon May 28, 2018 9:28 am

Leigti wrote:I don’t think you’re going to be able to find one anytime soon. If money is not the issue then go ahead and buy one from a reputable breeder. You know it’s healthy, you know it’s background.

I do agree, but I think I’ll search a bit longer for an adoptable one. Thanks anyway!

kingofnobbys wrote:i agree , "looking for a NBTS for free " sends a very bad signal to anyone who has one that might be needing rehoming .... the inferences are ;
>>> you are not going to be able to care for it properly ( no $ )
>>> you are not serious about getting one as a long term pet
>>> you are looking to make money on it (by immediately selling it or breeding it)

all these inferences may be wrong and unfair to you , but keep in mind that none of us know you as a person and while you claim you have everything already (except the skink) you have not voluntarily shown this to us (photos and detailed descriptions would help).

Since you are in the USA ,you can likely expect to fork out up to $1000 for good baby NBTS because they are very scarce there and there are very few breeders and it's strictly illegal to take these from the wild here and illegal for keepers / breeders to sell them for export which also restricts the supply of these skinks in the USA.

I wasn’t looking into adopting one for free by any means. I really just wanted to give one a good home, whether I pay an $800 adoption fee or not. I do agree that none of you personally know me, and whether you believe me or not, I have everything set up at home. The prices on these animals have recently went up, and I’m not against paying $1000 for one. I just want to search for an adoptable one first. Thank you for all your help anyway!

Return to “Classifieds w/Recommended Breeders List”