Silkworm questions

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
suez
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby suez » Fri May 25, 2007 1:48 pm

piggy wrote:Actually the chow suddenly sounds more appealing to me. :lol:
What form is it sold in? I recall seeing slabs of moist, granular goup... I'm just wondering what it is.
Oh and how long can you stretch their worm period, and avoid them becoming moths, assuming they're kept in the coolest possible temperature? I have one skink, and any stores that carry them are far away, so I want to buy large quantities, whilst maintaining their larval stage for a long time. Or are the moths okay to feed as well?

Hi i live in the UK and order my silkies of the net and the food i pay £13.00 for 100 silkies and £4.50 for a tub of the ready made up food that can be kept in the fridge for one month.the silkies i keep in a critter box they dont need water and can do without food for a week they have five instars(sheds )before they they start to spin their cocoon and become flightless moths 100 last me aprox 3 weeks for 1 skink and 2 cekos as i also feed other insects to keep them from being bored they are a great food to give the most nutricious and full of calcium try it out my critters love them OH and i keep them at room temp and as you will know here in the UK is not too warm although my critter room is always 76 dropping probably 15 degrees at night hope this helps
Tigergenesis
The Blue Bayou
The Blue Bayou

Postby Tigergenesis » Fri May 25, 2007 5:45 pm

Shellyjean wrote:Thanks! I'll just get some medium sized. What is the usual portion size for an adult skink? 5 or 10 a meal?

I usually give 6-12 at a time - depending on the skink and if I'm giving any other food that day.

0.1.1 Irian Jaya – “Princess Phoebe” and “Adrian”
0.0.1 Northern – “Piper”
0.0.1 Eastern – “Wyatt”
1.0.0 Kei – “Green Grissom”
1.0.0 Merauke – “Bayou”
drache
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby drache » Sun May 27, 2007 6:58 am

I used to think silkies are a pain and I've changed my mind. Yes, supers are easier, and anything you can keep in the freezer and not feed.
I get my silkies at mulberry farms and I get them no bigger than medium, so I have some time before they cocoon. My beardie also enjoys the hatches moths
the chow is definitely preferable to mulberry leaves, unless you want to be picking leaves twice a day - they are voracious readers. From what I understand the chow is mulberry leaves mixed with other bitter greens. The sell it prepared or powdered - every level of convinience imaginable.
Somebody once told me that one could feed silkies beet greens and that it would cause them to spin pink silk - never tried that. I just use them as feeders and the occasional donation to my daughter's science class.
Do not refrigerate the silkies - they will die
If you do order from mulberry farms, try a cup of hornworms - a bit pricey, but the only food that'll cause my beardie to charge clear across his cage to get. I wonder whether a BT would do the same.
rhea - future BT mom
Lucifer_Spades
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict

Postby Lucifer_Spades » Sun May 27, 2007 8:28 am

drache wrote:the chow is definitely preferable to mulberry leaves, unless you want to be picking leaves twice a day - they are voracious readers.

:lol: i'm having visions of little silkies lounging around reading classic shakespear and homer.
~*Luce*~
The original Ginger-Ninja! Ka-pow!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
0.0.3 Irian Jaya
Mizu, Izuru, and Battosai (On a Canadian Cruise)

0.0.1 Tanimbar Island
Toulouse (On a Canadian Cruise)

1.1.0 Cats-Simon, Lexi
1.0.0 Husband-Ricky
2.2.0 Kids-Kira, Tiernan, Chayton, and Esmé(aka "The Heathen Hoard" or " The HHH Club")
AneesasMuse
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Postby AneesasMuse » Sun May 27, 2007 10:07 am

Lucifer_Spades wrote:
drache wrote:the chow is definitely preferable to mulberry leaves, unless you want to be picking leaves twice a day - they are voracious readers.

:lol: i'm having visions of little silkies lounging around reading classic shakespear and homer.

You caught that too? :lol:
"Lots of people talk to animals. Not that many listen though. That's the problem."
- Piglet
Lucifer_Spades
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict

Postby Lucifer_Spades » Sun May 27, 2007 10:34 am

Typo's are the best.
~*Luce*~

The original Ginger-Ninja! Ka-pow!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

0.0.3 Irian Jaya
Mizu, Izuru, and Battosai (On a Canadian Cruise)

0.0.1 Tanimbar Island
Toulouse (On a Canadian Cruise)

1.1.0 Cats-Simon, Lexi
1.0.0 Husband-Ricky
2.2.0 Kids-Kira, Tiernan, Chayton, and Esmé(aka "The Heathen Hoard" or " The HHH Club")
drache
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby drache » Mon May 28, 2007 5:18 am

that is so funny
it's a good thing I didn't re-read the post and ruin the chuckle effect
mine prefer the "Bone" books to Shakespeare :)
rhea - future BT mom

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”