Snails

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Omega
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Postby Omega » Fri May 25, 2007 12:07 pm

Yeah, the aquarium hood light is on 12 hours a day or so too on the snail tank, i'm hoping it will help.

I've only got goldens atm, but I might keep my eyes out for egg clutches from other colors, as having a variety would be cool.
-Omega (Kyle v2.0 ;))
• 0.0.1 Indo BTS (born 3-15-07)
• 0.1 Dog (border collie + bernese mnt dog + ?)
• 0.0.20+ Cichlids/plecos
Piggy
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Piggy » Fri May 25, 2007 12:10 pm

Can I put the tank right on the window sill?
And Aneesas, could you provide a link? I would love visuals.
Shellyjean
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Postby Shellyjean » Fri May 25, 2007 1:28 pm

My tank has tons of algae in it. Is this a good thing or bad thing? I'm not sure if I should change part of the water or if they are happier with it this way.
Avatars are like shoes to me. Even though I can only wear one pair at a time, I always have a closet full!
AneesasMuse
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Postby AneesasMuse » Fri May 25, 2007 1:35 pm

piggy, I pm'd you :)

Shellyjean.. changing a 1/4 of the water every week or every other week will help with the ammonia and nitrite build up. These two can be deadly to your snails, actually. Also, suctioning off the bottom wouldn't hurt... just pick up the food and poo they leave behind.

Oh, and leave a couple inches at the top for them to lay their clutches... they won't lay IN the water. Umm, not Apple snails anyhow.
"Lots of people talk to animals. Not that many listen though. That's the problem."
- Piglet
Shellyjean
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Postby Shellyjean » Fri May 25, 2007 1:38 pm

Ahhh, ok. Will do that this evening then. I have them in just a couple inches of water so they have plenty of space above. Do they need a ledge or anything or will the eggs stick to the side of the tank?
Avatars are like shoes to me. Even though I can only wear one pair at a time, I always have a closet full!
AneesasMuse
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Postby AneesasMuse » Fri May 25, 2007 1:48 pm

The eggs will stick so nicely.. if you wanted them down, you'd have to slice them off with a razor blade :P

Depending on what size tank you have them in.. I don't recall... you can add enough water to just leave a couple or three inches at the top for egg laying. When I still had snails in all my tanks and outside.. they would just climb up on the lid or light fixture and lay their clutches.

Watch out for wiley gals when they are due to lay... you will find them cruising around on the carpet and everywhere. They'll also venture out if the water quality is poor ;)

btw.. I don't want to encourage you to get attached to your Skinkers' food items, but Apples are very friendly and will cruise around on your hand and arm or wherever, if you can stand it :P
"Lots of people talk to animals. Not that many listen though. That's the problem."

- Piglet
Leigh
Leigh of the Law
Leigh of the Law

Postby Leigh » Tue May 29, 2007 12:01 am

btw.. I don't want to encourage you to get attached to your Skinkers' food items, but Apples are very friendly and will cruise around on your hand and arm or wherever, if you can stand it :P[/quote]

What your name? Sponge Bob, and have you called one Gary, :rofl:
MMMmmmmm... Something???????

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”