Are sand substrates good???

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Spike
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Are sand substrates good???

Postby Spike » Sun May 06, 2007 8:47 am

Hi everyone! It's been some time since I've been on. Spike is doing great! He just went through a shed and looks great! He's out of him semi hibernation stage and he eating like never before! My question is....I wanted to try a sand substrate, but not sure if they are good for them? If they are is there one better than another?? If so which? I usually order from Drs. Foster and smith because where I live there is one pet store and they don't have much variety. Thanks in advance for all your help! :)
Spike-IJ BTS
Chata-Bulldog
Chika-Bull Terrior
Kiesha-Pit Bull
Rob-husband
Arkangel
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Arkangel » Sun May 06, 2007 9:08 am

Yay for Spike!
To answer your question....No sand.

From the caresheet:
Substrates not to use
We advise against sand and/or crushed walnut shells as excessive ingestion can be fatal. This is called impaction, and I've seen it on a number of occasions. When a blue tongue is chasing prey, or shooting his tongue around, he can't help but consume mouthfuls of these tiny pieces as they stick to anything even remotely wet. The tiny pieces build up and get backed up in the digestive tract, creating a complete blockage. If the animal is not able to pass the "clump", he will die. If you ever see a massive passing of feces packed full of substrate, this is your sign to switch substrates immediately. Eco Earth is another popular substrate that looks great, but our members have found bugs in the material on more than one occasion and in different states across America. Use at own risk. Do not use gravel. BTS will eat pebbles (which is normal and not harmful) but will often even attempt to eat large rocks which of course poses a serious choking hazard. See picture below. Do not use any type of pine or cedar products, and be sure that whatever substrate you do use is NON-aromatic. Cedar and pine shavings contain aromatic hydrocarbons called phenols (which gives it its scent). It can be quite toxic to your blue tongue, and can cause problems in the respiratory system. Actually, long term cedar and pine exposure are thought to be dangerous to all living things, and many studies have been done proving the theory. There are plenty of other great choices, so as long as you stay away from cedar, pine and other aromatic substrates, you should have nothing to worry about. Also, never use any type of wild bark or dirt you find outside. Bugs, ticks, mites, bacteria, dog crap, who knows what it could be infested with...and it's not even worth attempting to clean. DO NOT USE NEWSPAPER. The ink never dries, and it will leave your bluey's feet black and dry if used over time. The ink is also thought to be toxic under continual exposure, although not proven. Temporary use is fine. Here are two pictures of a BTS that was kept on newspaper as a substrate as well as the one gravel image mentioned above. Click to enlarge.

Kristine
Bluebird Acres Farm
Barnyard Banter and Rocket Science blog

Artemis on MySpace

When all the trees have been cut down, when all the animals have been hunted, when all the waters are polluted, when all the air is unsafe to breathe, only then will you discover you cannot eat money.
Cree Prophecy.
Spike
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Spike » Sun May 06, 2007 9:21 am

Thank you so much....I totally forgot about the impaction issue. I use wood chips now, I was just wanting to try something different. Thanks again!
Spike-IJ BTS

Chata-Bulldog

Chika-Bull Terrior

Kiesha-Pit Bull

Rob-husband
Dragontears
Thousand Teardrops
Thousand Teardrops

Postby Dragontears » Sun May 06, 2007 10:48 am

sand = :shake:

you should post some pics of Spike ;)
Omega
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Postby Omega » Sun May 06, 2007 2:14 pm

yeah, i've heard bad things about sand with these guys. i think they recommend cyprus or carefresh (what i use).... i like the carefresh a lot so far. Not very exciting looking... but works well.
Lucifer_Spades
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict

Postby Lucifer_Spades » Sun May 06, 2007 3:02 pm

Omega wrote:yeah, i've heard bad things about sand with these guys. i think they recommend cyprus* or carefresh (what i use).... i like the carefresh a lot so far. Not very exciting looking... but works well.

*Aspen
~*Luce*~
The original Ginger-Ninja! Ka-pow!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
0.0.3 Irian Jaya
Mizu, Izuru, and Battosai (On a Canadian Cruise)

0.0.1 Tanimbar Island
Toulouse (On a Canadian Cruise)

1.1.0 Cats-Simon, Lexi
1.0.0 Husband-Ricky
2.2.0 Kids-Kira, Tiernan, Chayton, and Esmé(aka "The Heathen Hoard" or " The HHH Club")
Omega
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Postby Omega » Sun May 06, 2007 3:55 pm

Lucifer_Spades wrote:
Omega wrote:yeah, i've heard bad things about sand with these guys. i think they recommend cyprus* or carefresh (what i use).... i like the carefresh a lot so far. Not very exciting looking... but works well.

*Aspen

whoops, i always type cyprus, lol, Aspen I mean... hehe.
Lucifer_Spades
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict

Postby Lucifer_Spades » Sun May 06, 2007 4:04 pm

s'ok ;) I'm a pain in th rear stickler for semantics just blame it on my being a Virgo.

BTW I don't suggest using bark type bedding. I'm sick of pulling splinters out of my fingers every time I dig in there
~*Luce*~

The original Ginger-Ninja! Ka-pow!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

0.0.3 Irian Jaya
Mizu, Izuru, and Battosai (On a Canadian Cruise)

0.0.1 Tanimbar Island
Toulouse (On a Canadian Cruise)

1.1.0 Cats-Simon, Lexi
1.0.0 Husband-Ricky
2.2.0 Kids-Kira, Tiernan, Chayton, and Esmé(aka "The Heathen Hoard" or " The HHH Club")
Zach
Grand Cicada
Grand Cicada

Postby Zach » Mon May 07, 2007 12:43 pm

Dragontears wrote:sand = :shake:

That really cracked me up...maybe because I imagined you at your computer making the same face shaking your head. :lol:

+ 2.2 Irian Jaya (Slurpy, Nona, Sassy, Cool Moe Dee)
+ 1.1 Eastern (Eugene, Enzo)
+ 1.2 Northern (Niko, Pearl, Peach)
+ 1.0 Tanimbar Island (TQ)
Nature's Gift
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Nature's Gift » Mon May 07, 2007 1:11 pm

I think this "sand" thing came about because people get this impression that all Australian reptiles live in the desert. I've never been to central Australia and nor have most blueys.

They certainly don't hang at the beach where I live, they burrow in bushy area's under the leaves and general bushy ground.

I think it's a bad stereotype that some reptiles have to suffer.
I do not suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
KyleWeiss
Minister of Propaganda
Minister of Propaganda

Postby KyleWeiss » Mon May 07, 2007 10:14 pm

Lucifer_Spades wrote:s'ok ;) I'm a pain in th rear stickler for semantics just blame it on my being a Virgo.

:?

KW
Goodbye, BTS.net -- We've had to good times. I do hope someone else will come along and make it the lovely community it once was.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”