New BTS + Green paste poop

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
HerpLover
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

New BTS + Green paste poop

Postby HerpLover » Sat Mar 02, 2024 6:14 am

Hello. I am a new Skink owner, as well as a new reptile owner. He's a 7 month old male Indonesian Blue Tongue Skink, and I've had him for a week. He is currently eating his food enthusiastically. I am feeding him dog food (I checked to make sure it was safe for him), grated butternut squash, watercress, green beans, dried mealworms and occasional fruit. I used to feed him more banana than I should have done, but stopped once I realised he shouldn't be eating that much.

For a few days now, his poop has been green with the consistency of paste. I've read this can be owing to too much sugar in his diet, so he hasn't had any fruit for the last 2-3 days. He has around 40-45% greens/vegetables to protein. His temperature is good, his humidity is okay and he is drinking. Should I give him less calcium powder, up his vegetables or lower his protein? The pet shop I bought him from gave him live food, Repashy Bluey Buffet, fruit and some vegetables. My diet is obviously different. He looks alert, his scales are shiny, his eyes are bright, and he appears to be healthy.

Can anyone give me advice on what to do? He's due for another feeding tomorrow.
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Re: New BTS + Green paste poop

Postby splashy07 » Thu Mar 07, 2024 6:16 am

Indonesians not acquired from breeders (95 percent are imported) often come in with parasites and other assorted pathogens.
I would advise a trip to the vet, bring a fecal sample with you.
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN
Your Facebook name: Janella Poch

Re: New BTS + Green paste poop

Postby Janella » Thu Mar 07, 2024 8:20 pm

I agree...could be parasites. Their stool color and consistency can change due to what they eat as well. Start with stool check for parasites, and if that is normal my guess is it is diet related.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”