Worms found in stool

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
smh94x
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Worms found in stool

Postby smh94x » Sun Feb 25, 2024 4:07 pm

Hey so my northern blue tongue recently came out of brumation. He only lost 14 grams in 3 months. He’s been behaving normally, has an appetite, not being lethargic. Last night he pooped what looked like diarrhea that had these small worms that were alive. I collected a stool sample with the worms for future testing. I wanna setup a vet visit if I continue to see this. I just wanted to ask if anyone seen these little white worms before. Almost look like maggots but again this is the first time ever seeing these. Would appreciate the opinions.

IMG_6885.jpeg

This is my bluey currently. Around a year old. Sorry the picture is sideways lol

IMG_6841.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Isabel
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: Worms found in stool

Postby Isabel » Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:33 am

Hey!

Maybe this reply is too late, but I would let a poop-sample be checked by a vet. Could be oxyures or something like that.

Best of luck!
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN
Your Facebook name: Janella Poch

Re: Worms found in stool

Postby Janella » Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:56 am

Hi there, worms are very common in wild caught skinks. Sometimes even skinks from breeders can have parasites. The best course of action is to have the stool checked for parasites. That way the correct medication can be prescribed.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”