A remarkable young man has come to stay... (new skink and questions)

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Madwoman Madrigal
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

A remarkable young man has come to stay... (new skink and questions)

Postby Madwoman Madrigal » Sun Feb 11, 2024 2:44 pm

Hi everybody! I just got my first ectotherm - his(?) name is Zoozve, he's a seven month old Northern, and he is very handsome.

Image Image

I have some questions about lighting. I have a 150w halogen flood bulb for heat and a 100w mercury vapor bulb for uvb. The fixtures I use are 8.5in domes. I had the halogen in a smaller dome and it burned out. I want to make sure that doesn't happen again. Will domes of that size be sufficient or do I absolutely need to go with wire fixtures?

Halogen: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0C2D9DK ... asin_title
Mercury: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07CXL3C ... asin_title
Madwoman Madrigal
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: A remarkable young man has come to stay... (new skink and questions)

Postby Madwoman Madrigal » Sun Feb 11, 2024 8:09 pm

I also have another question: when should I be worried about him not pooping? He ate a meal on Thursday and seemingly hasn't pooped. He may have done so in his burrow. It's been difficult to feed him in the morning because he doesn't come out of his burrow until the late afternoon. (Dang teenagers, but I think this is also because it's winter.)

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”