PLEASE HELP!! RI during brumation!

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
mulberryni
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

PLEASE HELP!! RI during brumation!

Postby mulberryni » Thu Nov 30, 2023 9:30 am

Hello guys, I got a pair of 3-year-old hyper melanistic blue tongue skinks currently under brumation.

Yesterday I noticed there were some discharges around their mouth. Today I found the male was breathing heavily, with saliva bubbles coming from his mouth. His eyes were clear, and tried to terrify me while I took him out. I'm thinking he might be dealing with a respiratory infection, but the female seems okay.

This is my first time encountering this situation during brumation. I'm raising the temperature to 16 degrees Celsius now as their brumation temperature was around 11-14 degrees Celsius. but I'm a bit unsure about the next steps.

Should I gradually increase the room temperature, like 1-2 degrees per day, and then consider introducing basking lights after a few days? Or should I jump straight to a heat mat for him? I know he needs warmth to recover from this respiratory infection, but I'm not sure what the best approach is.

I'm worried if I directly take him to the vet/immediately wake him up to the normal temperature --- he may not be able to deal with the heat/temperature.

Just attached several pics of the male skink. I really appreciate your help! :(

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”