D3 supplementation if using UVB? New keeper introduction!

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Akirapaws
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

D3 supplementation if using UVB? New keeper introduction!

Postby Akirapaws » Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:58 am

Hello everyone! I’m brand new to the forum and preparing for my first northern bts to arrive next week. He/she is three months old and from a breeder in California. My terrarium is up and running perfectly, but I still had a few questions after all of my research. I am hoping the experienced keepers here can help me provide the best possible husbandry :)

For UVB, I am using: “Zoo Med ReptiSun 5.0 HO T5 UVB Lamp, 22" L, 24 Watts,” placed 11” above the basking area.
When I used a UVB sensor card under the light at the basking height, it turned the lightest purple (“low” 0-50 uw/cm)

1 - Is this amount of UVB sufficient for optimal health? I was reading conflicting information about if they even “need” UVB, vs using a T5 or T10. I would really like to provide whatever is the healthiest/best option for my BTS. I’d love thoughts on if my T5 is correct, or if I should get a T10!

2 - I plan to provide a lot of variety in the diet. For meals that would not be dog/cat food or bluey buffet, should I add calcium WITH or WITHOUT D3 because I am using UVB? I could not find good info on this online.

3 - Do I need to drop the temps at night? I live in Florida, so at night my house is never below 73/74 F. I have ball pythons and other reptiles that I never touch their temps, so turning the bts’ heat off at night makes me nervous lol. Should I turn the thermostat down so there is a small night drop? Do they need a nighttime temp drop to stay healthy? What temp should I drop them to?

3 - I’d appreciate some assurance my parameters are ok. I am using Arcadia deep heat projectors as a preference due to the potential fire hazard of other bulbs... I have used Arcadia dhp for years with my snakes and personally love them.
Warm side air temp: 85 F
Cool side air temp: 78-80 F
Basing surface temp taken with gun: 101-105 F
I am using forest floor (cypress mulch) substrate and the humidity has been 45-57% based on cool/warm side and time of day consistently for the last 2 days.

When I have my baby, I will happily post some pics of them in their set up. This forum has been a life saver for finding all the info I needed to get my set up going. Thank you all for any input you have for me! I’m happy to take in any knowledge you can provide!

-Nicole :D

PS, I am a husbandry freak so any special tips for best possible care are more than welcome!
Akirapaws
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: D3 supplementation if using UVB? New keeper introduction!

Postby Akirapaws » Tue Sep 26, 2023 8:34 am

IMG_0492.jpeg

The little baby arrived save and sound!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”