Vomiting after vets

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Relapsee
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Vomiting after vets

Postby Relapsee » Thu Jun 08, 2023 2:59 pm

Hey, hopefully someone can put my mind at rest!

My northern BTS has been unwell for a couple of months now with, what we assume, is a respiratory infection. He was given 3 rounds of antibiotics (injected) every 3 days (Fortum) by a reptile vet. This seemed to fix his infection until a couple of weeks later when he was once again showing signs but this time worse with sneezing, bubbling/watery eyes, laboured breathing and clicking when he breaths.

We took him back to the vets who kept him in for 3 days as the vet thought something else is causing it since it's highly unusual for the BTS to get an infection again and so quickly. He had some tests done under anesthesia including a lung wash, PCR and a camera down his throat. The camera showed his lungs were filled with water so they drained the water and then performed a lung wash to be sent to a lab to see what's up. They also did a test to check for viruses. We're currently awaiting the test results.

When he was at the vets I deep cleaned everything .

When I was able to bring him home they gave him another shot of Fortum and said they'll administer it every 3 days until the test results come back. When I brought him home he was clearly stressed, I would too being around total strangers, knocked out with drugs and then had tubes down my throat. He threw up some water the minute we got home but I read BTS can vomit if stressed which he clearly was so I'm trying not to look too deep into it but the back of my mind its bothering me.

He settled in relatively quickly and has spent most of today just basking. He did come out for 15 minutes where I gave him some food in a bowl but he only ate some of it, which is unusual since he loves his food. He's never not finished it until today and considering he's not eaten in 5 days (he usually eats every 3) this concerned me even more.

As much as I don't want to take him back Saturday for another injection at the risk of stressing him again I'm hoping it will help, even if its a little. I guess my question is, do you think it's odd he didn't finish his food? Was it because he vomited yesterday? Has anyone had a similar experience with a mystery illness?
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Re: Vomiting after vets

Postby splashy07 » Fri Jun 09, 2023 5:00 am

After all that I wouldn't be alarmed that he did not finish his food. At least he had something to eat. Hopefully he will slowly recover, and no I have never heard of such a thing. Northerns rarely get sick at all, so this is new to me.
How old is he? Can you post a picture of him? Wishing your pet all the best.
What on earth is a "lung wash"?
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN
Your Facebook name: Janella Poch

Re: Vomiting after vets

Postby Janella » Sun Jun 11, 2023 3:37 pm

Gosh, I am so sorry to hear about all this in your skink. I do hope the continued medications and lung wash will help move it in the right direction of health. A lung wash is the method used to get a culture of the bacteria causing the RI so the most effective antibiotics can be found. Sounds like you have a vet that knows what they are doing. Prayers your baby gets better.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”