Brumation Questions

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
BlueBella
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Brumation Questions

Postby BlueBella » Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:56 am

Its been getting quite a bit chillier here and I have some questions about brumation. I noticed Deckard's light was having trouble keeping the correct ambient temps as its been getting colder, so I went out and bought another small one to boost them. The temps are all right now, but I haven't seen him at all. He remains burrowed literally all the time, like I rarely ever see him move. Sometimes he doesn't move for days at a time. Is that something to be worried about? He has also started to refuse all food, he won't even touch it. I've always had trouble with getting him to eat but now he won't even take a bite. Are these things just him going into brumation even though the temps are normal?
1.0 Northern Blue Tongue Skink—Deckard
0.2 Mutts—Penny and Roxy
0.2 Guinea Pigs—Pumpkin and Potato
mb606587
ADMIN
ADMIN

Re: Brumation Questions

Postby mb606587 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:33 am

Yes it sounds like your skink is brumating to me. In years past, my skink would burrow herself around this time of year and would refuse food for several months. It is very normal behavior, especially for Northerns. What are your temperatures at in the enclosure? Even if you don't alter your heating, your ambient temperatures will surely drop during the brutal Northeast winters, especially at night, which will trigger this behavior. You can still offer food once per week until he starts eating again, but definitely ensure your skink always has access to fresh water.
BlueBella
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby BlueBella » Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:22 pm

My temps in the summer usually were around 85-90 ambient on the hot end and 75-79 on the cool end. Basking spot has always been 98-102. But since its been colder, even with the extra light they hang around 82-86 hot end and 72-77 on the cool end. Basking spot is the same just takes a little longer to warm up. And at night its usually 67-68.
0.2 Mutts—Penny and Roxy
mb606587
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby mb606587 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:12 pm

Your temperatures seem good. Just make sure come January and February when it gets sub freezing that your night temps don't dip under 65 at night. If they do, utilize a ceramic heat emitter, other than that, your skink will be fine. For Northerns, this is the time of year in the United States they enter brumation and it is necessary for them in order to initiate their breeding season. My Irian Jaya brumates some years usually in November and sometimes she won't come out until March.
BlueBella
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby BlueBella » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:45 am

Thank you for your replies, I guess now all we do is wait for spring. :D
0.2 Mutts—Penny and Roxy

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”