Bluetongue Tank Toys

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
dylan.des
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Bluetongue Tank Toys

Postby dylan.des » Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:38 pm

Hey All!
I bought a baby Bluey a couple of weeks ago, and was wondering what type of things I should keep in his enclosure. I have a couple of hides for Zeus at the moment, as well as a fake plant/rock aquarium ornament, and a piece of wood provided by the petstore (I had to dull the picture quality to meet the 3MB maximum file size). I was just wondering what kind of things you guys put in, not just for aesthetics, but for the enrichment of your Blueys - I have read EVERYWHERE, including this forum, that they are extremely intelligent, and appreciate changes in their environment to explore. I also have a mate whose Bluey absolutely loves climbing, so would it be suitable to have branches of some sort in there? If so, what kind?
I am just a bit cautious grabbing any old thing to chuck in with him, already owning a turtle, I know how detrimental somethings from the outdoors could be.
How did everyone also go about taming your bluey? I notice mine hisses quite a bit, despite being absolutely tiny. I would love to hear everyone's feedback!

I apologize if this has been answered before - I did genuinely try looking for a similar question but failed to do so.

Thanks! :ohyes:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kingofnobbys
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Re: Bluetongue Tank Toys

Postby kingofnobbys » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:42 pm

OK …. my 2 adult bluetongue skinks have leaf litter (collected from my front lawn (from my mature bluegum tree)) that they love to investigate and fossick through.

Issues I can see
1) the red coloured "infrared" / heat globe I see in your tank needs to be tossed in the bin ….. red coloured globes ARE NOT APPROPRIATE for BTs , the basking globe needs to be either a colourless incandescent par38 floodlight or a colourless halogen par38 floodlight or a MVB.

The red glow given off by the existing globe will have the following deleterious effects on your skink :
>>> it will have difficulty finding it's food and telling the food offered (salad/veg) is actually food
>>> it will have trouble finding live feeder insects
>>> it will think it's perpetually dusk and will not bask properly

2) the t8 tube , even if it's a 12% Arcadia (doubt it) , it's way too far away as currently installed to provide adequate UVA & UVB for your skink, corrections needed :
>>> upgrade to an Arcadia T5HO 12% UVB tube (about the length)
>>> will need to be mounted in a proper reflector hood or have a slip on Arcadia reflector attached (to concentrate and focus the UV where your BT needs it)
See this for more information : https://www.beardeddragon.org/forums/vi ... 4&t=235611 , aiming for 160-200 microW UVB / sq.cm at the basking spot will be very beneficial to your skink.
dylan.des
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby dylan.des » Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:25 am

kingofnobbys wrote:OK …. my 2 adult bluetongue skinks have leaf litter (collected from my front lawn (from my mature bluegum tree)) that they love to investigate and fossick through.

Issues I can see
1) the red coloured "infrared" / heat globe I see in your tank needs to be tossed in the bin ….. red coloured globes ARE NOT APPROPRIATE for BTs , the basking globe needs to be either a colourless incandescent par38 floodlight or a colourless halogen par38 floodlight or a MVB.

The red glow given off by the existing globe will have the following deleterious effects on your skink :
>>> it will have difficulty finding it's food and telling the food offered (salad/veg) is actually food

2) the t8 tube , even if it's a 12% Arcadia (doubt it) , it's way too far away as currently installed to provide adequate UVA & UVB for your skink, corrections needed :
>>> will need to be mounted in a proper reflector hood or have a slip on Arcadia reflector attached (to concentrate and focus the UV where your BT needs it)
See this for more information : https://www.beardeddragon.org/forums/vi ... 4&t=235611 , aiming for 160-200 microW UVB / sq.cm at the basking spot will be very beneficial to your skink.

Thanks a lot. I'm really not impressed with the people that sold me the full setup, considering they are supposed to be the "experts".
1. You can buy those par38 floodlights at bunnings correct? Or am I mistaken? Can you just send me a picture of the product you use with the locations of where you buy them from? I'm just thinking about the par38 floodlights that you can buy at like bunnings - the Phillips ones for example.
2. How should I lower the UVB? It's connected to the roof of the enclosure. Is there a different, powerful light I can use to provide UVB? Or can I possibly build up the substrate or something in a paticular area so its closer?

This is really horrible news for me.. :oops:
kingofnobbys
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Postby kingofnobbys » Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:13 am

dylan.des wrote:
kingofnobbys wrote:OK …. my 2 adult bluetongue skinks have leaf litter (collected from my front lawn (from my mature bluegum tree)) that they love to investigate and fossick through.

Issues I can see

Thanks a lot. I'm really not impressed with the people that sold me the full setup, considering they are supposed to be the "experts".
1. You can buy those par38 floodlights at bunnings correct? Or am I mistaken? Can you just send me a picture of the product you use with the locations of where you buy them from? I'm just thinking about the par38 floodlights that you can buy at like bunnings - the Phillips ones for example. <<<< that's where most keepers go to them , been some talk of these being par38 Philips floods being hard to find ( if you can't find them at Bunnings , try Woolworths or Coles or Kmart , I'd call ahead of visiting. But I hate going to any shop , especially big box places and then trying to find what I want).
Not all branches will have them .
other options :
https://gerardlighting.com.au/products/ ... -reflector
https://gerardlighting.com.au/products/ ... ar38-lamps
http://www.lighting.philips.com/main/pr ... hape/par38 , http://www.lighting.philips.com.au/prof ... hape/par38
there is an OSRAM version too : CONC PAR38 FL 80 W 240 V E27

2. How should I lower the UVB? It's connected to the roof of the enclosure. Is there a different, powerful light I can use to provide UVB? Or can I possibly build up the substrate or something in a paticular area so its closer?
<<< exactly do you have T8 or T5Ho ? brand ? %UVB rating ?

dylan.des
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby dylan.des » Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:12 am

I'll give the 'Philips 120W ES Clear Par38 Globe' a good look at bunnings, and if I can't find them, I'll buy one as you suggested through the link. So this will just act as a new heat source correct?
The UVB provided with the setup is a 'Exo Terra Repti Glo UVB 150 10.0 24" (18W)' tube. What tube should I buy to replace this? As I said, the tubes slot is connected to the top of the enclosure.

Thanks
dylan.des
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby dylan.des » Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:35 am

kingofnobbys wrote:
dylan.des wrote:

Issues I can see

1. You can buy those par38 floodlights at bunnings correct? Or am I mistaken? Can you just send me a picture of the product you use with the locations of where you buy them from? I'm just thinking about the par38 floodlights that you can buy at like bunnings - the Phillips ones for example. <<<< that's where most keepers go to them , been some talk of these being par38 Philips floods being hard to find ( if you can't find them at Bunnings , try Woolworths or Coles or Kmart , I'd call ahead of visiting. But I hate going to any shop , especially big box places and then trying to find what I want).
other options :
http://www.lighting.philips.com/main/pr ... hape/par38 , http://www.lighting.philips.com.au/prof ... hape/par38

Hey mate,
Just an update - changed the infrared with the Phillips Floodlights they had at bunnings. I ended up returning the 120W as it got far too hot, and the 75W ended up working perfectly. Waiting on that UVB recommendations when you're ready :D
kingofnobbys
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Postby kingofnobbys » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:16 am

dylan.des wrote:
kingofnobbys wrote:
dylan.des wrote:
other options :

Hey mate,
Just an update - changed the infrared with the Phillips Floodlights they had at bunnings. I ended up returning the 120W as it got far too hot, and the 75W ended up working perfectly. Waiting on that UVB recommendations when you're ready :D

You probably saved some $ too , buying reptile specific spotglobes can work out pricey ( especially if a lot of the stuff flogged by pet shops is reboxed knockoffs / clones which are "fragile" ).

I think your best options for UV is going to be an Arcadia T5ho 12% UVB , this will give you very good levels of UVA & UVB in the tank and are guaranteed good for 12 months before needing replacement (even with these the phosphors on the inside of the tube will eventually decay / age and the UV output will drop off.
The brand of T5HO tube to get is Arcadia , not Zoo Med (there are issues with their phosphors lately - they are decaying too fast) and not Reptile One or other elcheapo clones sold by online (Ebay shops and petshop chains) …. I think AmazingAmazon in Melbourne carry Arcadia T5ho 12% UVb tubes.
The tube should be no more than 2/3 the length of the tank. ---- you want to give the skink an area it can crawl to get away from intense levels of UVA & UVB when it's soaked up enough UV rays.

A northern BT will need very similar UVA & UVB as a bearded dragon, ie extreme tropical and subtropical levels. I'd be aiming for 200 microW UVB/ sq.cm at the basking spot and half that on the floor level.
Eastern BT have a larger native range (more spread in latitude from Victoria to FN Qld , so can tolerate a similar range of UV intensities as their NBT cousins.
(Some people suggest 5 - 6% UVB as opposed to 10 - 12% UVB.)

Options are for a Northern :
naked T5HO 12%UVB tube , distance to basking spot 15cm
T5HO 12%UVB tube with good quality sljp on reflector or in a reflector hood , distance to basking spot 30cm

naked T5HO 14%UVB tube , distance to basking spot 18cm
T5HO 14%UVB tube with good quality sljp on reflector or in a reflector hood , distance to basking spot 35cm

I think you'll be fine with a T5HO 12%UVB tube set up as above.
dylan.des
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby dylan.des » Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:11 am

kingofnobbys wrote:
dylan.des wrote:
kingofnobbys wrote:

Hey mate,

You probably saved some $ too , buying reptile specific spotglobes can work out pricey ( especially if a lot of the stuff flogged by pet shops is reboxed knockoffs / clones which are "fragile" ).

I think your best options for UV is going to be an Arcadia T5ho 12% UVB , this will give you very good levels of UVA & UVB in the tank and are guaranteed good for 12 months before needing replacement (even with these the phosphors on the inside of the tube will eventually decay / age and the UV output will drop off.
The brand of T5HO tube to get is Arcadia , not Zoo Med (there are issues with their phosphors lately - they are decaying too fast) and not Reptile One or other elcheapo clones sold by online (Ebay shops and petshop chains) …. I think AmazingAmazon in Melbourne carry Arcadia T5ho 12% UVb tubes.
The tube should be no more than 2/3 the length of the tank. ---- you want to give the skink an area it can crawl to get away from intense levels of UVA & UVB when it's soaked up enough UV rays.

A northern BT will need very similar UVA & UVB as a bearded dragon, ie extreme tropical and subtropical levels. I'd be aiming for 200 microW UVB/ sq.cm at the basking spot and half that on the floor level.
Eastern BT have a larger native range (more spread in latitude from Victoria to FN Qld , so can tolerate a similar range of UV intensities as their NBT cousins.
(Some people suggest 5 - 6% UVB as opposed to 10 - 12% UVB.)

Options are for a Northern :
naked T5HO 12%UVB tube , distance to basking spot 15cm
T5HO 12%UVB tube with good quality sljp on reflector or in a reflector hood , distance to basking spot 30cm

naked T5HO 14%UVB tube , distance to basking spot 18cm
T5HO 14%UVB tube with good quality sljp on reflector or in a reflector hood , distance to basking spot 35cm

I think you'll be fine with a T5HO 12%UVB tube set up as above.

Cheers mate! Just wondering if I could have an image or possible link to this specific type of UVB bulb, as Amazing Amazon actually sold me the previous UVB bulb as part of the complete setup for him.
Floodlights are all good!
Susann
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby Susann » Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:54 pm

First off, if you are answering the post directly above your new post, you do not need to quote... It gets to be a lot of unnecessary scrolling for everybody.
Second, kingofnobbys tends to give his opinions as if they are proven facts. Red heat globes in conjunction with other daytime light has not been proven to in any way be negative to their sight or behavior; certainly has nothing to do with lowering a skink's ability to find his food.

The most important thing for you to worry about is that you are providing a proper heat gradient in his tank. Give him a basking spot on one side of about 40°C, and a cool side in the low 20's on the opposite side. Lower temp cool side is fine if your tank allows you to accomplish that, because that gives your skink more opportunities to thermoregulate himself as he needs. UVB is good to add but is not a MUST as long as you supplement his meals with appropriate calcium and vitamin D. (HERE is a great article on Calcium, phosphorus, and Vit D.) If you do add UVB, I suggest you add some more places in the tank that provide shade, so he can be out of his hides during daytime but can get away from the UVB rays if he starts to get too much. The more options you can provide HIM, the better he can regulate his own needs without being forced to stay in certain spots.
Breeder and keeper of Meraukes from 2010 to 2022.
dylan.des
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby dylan.des » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:43 pm

Apologies for the unnecessary scrolling.
Thank you for your help - I have already replaced the infrared globes, however. I have a temperature gradient exactly as described as well as a hide and some fake trees with fake leaves to escape the UVB rays. I also find him digging quite a lot.
What other things would you suggest I provide as entertainment and enrichment?

Thanks again :D
kingofnobbys
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Postby kingofnobbys » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:42 pm

dylan.des wrote:Apologies for the unnecessary scrolling.
Thank you for your help - I have already replaced the infrared globes, however. I have a temperature gradient exactly as described as well as a hide and some fake trees with fake leaves to escape the UVB rays. I also find him digging quite a lot.
What other things would you suggest I provide as entertainment and enrichment?

Thanks again :D

some daily freeranging in a lizard safe area of the house , they love it and particularly love exploring thing they encounter on the floor (shoes, socks, cushions, open boxes , a sheet of bubble wrap, if you a screened security door and it's warm and sunny. let them look out through it.

If you have a safe fenced off garden area - supervised freeranging in the garden will be great for the skink too. Just be wary of kookaburras, roaming (fence leaping) dogs and cats - unfortunately many cat and dog owners let their pet roam free here in Australia because the regulations are NOT enforced here wrt ownership of cats and dogs are as weak as water anyway. So many free ranging cats in my area that I can't even do supervised outdoors freeranging with my beardies and BTs (just too dangerous).
Susann
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby Susann » Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:23 pm

Kingofnobbys, did you see my post right above dylan.des'? You must not have read it. I shall type out my request again for you, and try to explain it a little bit differently:
If you are answering the comment that is directly above the new comment that you are about to post, do not quote the comment directly above yours... It gets to be a lot of unnecessary scrolling for everybody; especially for those who are reading these forums on their phones.

Dylan.des, as far as entertainment and enrichment; yes, letting them out of their tank, whether indoors or out, as long as you can constantly supervise, is probably the best way to get their brains and bodies going. Some love to roam and check things out, but not all.
Before I started breeding and only had 3-4 skinks, I would put up a gate in front of this little hallway we have and put different things on the floor: a towel, a ball, a dog toy, a baby toy, a rubber ducky, boxes, food containers. Sometimes I would hide snail pieces in or under stuff. Some loved it, some just hid and stayed in one place the entire time.
Some skinks are okay exploring outdoors, but some never quit being terrified; some (even the tamest skink inside) can revert to "wild" defensive behavior outside; people have said it's like they turn into a completely different skink outside.

If you are looking for things to add to his tank to keep him a bit more occupied, I would maybe start with the pinned topic at the very top of this forum, the one called Enclosure Pictures; some of the photos in there might spark some ideas for you as to what you might want to add to his tank for entertainment, like ramps, second levels, ledges, rocks, branches, plants, hides, platforms, etc.
As far as anything you put in his tank, whether it be a rock or a toy car, as long as the items are big enough that an adult skink could never get his jaws around it (and choke), and hardy enough that it would be impossible for an adult skink to bite or tear a piece off and try to swallow it (like silk plants --or real ones too for that matter). Dog toys and balls tend to be the safer option as far as toys go, because they are made to withstand prolonged, forceful chewing with teeth much bigger than our skinks'.

I have only ever had one skink who was interested enough in toys/objects he could move himself, mostly balls --he would try to bite it, it would roll, skink would follow and bite/roll it; that could go on for a while. I also bought a bunch of brightly colored baby bath toys that he liked to bite on, sometimes shake them. Mostly that was outside of his tank; you put stuff inside his tank and he would go investigate but didn't ever seem curious about them in his tank.
I also had one baby who became obsessed with one of the big Chevron cars (I don't know if these are around anymore...). They all had these big eyes, and this baby became obsessed with crawling up on the car and biting the eyes on it. On occasion he would move a few of them, but always go back to his favorite, crawl on top and bite the eyes.

Some people don't see the value in being concerned about providing entertainment for a reptile, but I say, as long as the toys/decorations/objects are safe, I don't see the harm in finding out if you happen to have a skink to happens to really enjoy it. Why not?
Breeder and keeper of Meraukes from 2010 to 2022.
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:01 am

Best entertainment I've had (and I'm sure she had!) was putting a hard boiled egg in a tub with one of my Northerns. (you don't want to do it in their enclosure as you'd have quite a mess).
Just take care with out-of-cage time when your residence is cool, remember you are removing your pet from a 90+ degree enclosure to a 60 or 70 something degree room, and he/she could immediately run and hide.
mb606587
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby mb606587 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:47 am

Yeah me and my skink have this game we play when I take him out. It's called "Let's hide under the oven or refrigerator and make him fish me out." I don't enjoy this game but my skink loves it. So just a word from the wise, or rather unwise since I've allowed this to happen more than once, they are very good at disappearing quickly. ALWAYS keep your eyes on them when outside their enclosure, especially if it's going to be outside where they can fit into the tiniest of spaces.
IMG_0356.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:02 am

It's warm under the fridge. Also, if you take your skink out and let him run around on the floor, I'd suggest sitting on the floor and being at his level. Danger comes from above, and if you are walking around and he is on the floor his response may be run for it. Scaring the daylights out of him could be more harmful than not taking him out at all. Sometimes we all forget these are reptiles, and they do not think like dogs and cats. Although there are exceptions (an old boyfriend of mine had an iguana that used to follow him around the house) for the most part ground dwellers like to see things on their own level.
mb606587
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby mb606587 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:16 am

Believe it or not my basement is skink proof (or so I thought). I usually let one of my 7 run around and I set up little hides around the room that they usually explore while I watch baseball or football games. Now I didn't think it was possible for any of these guys to climb up the steps and nudge the door ajar at the top. But sure enough I fell asleep and that's exactly what happened in that picture. So don't underestimate them. I don't anymore.
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:14 am

Don't even underestimate them IN their cages. One of mine pulled out an air vent (they are now all siliconed in) and crawled through it, dropped four feet to the floor. At the ripe old age of a few months. Thank God there was no injury and was found under the couch looking at me like nothing ever happened. I think I lost 10 years of my life that day when I came home from work and he wasn't in his cage...

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”