What is wrong with my skink?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Salamander95
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

What is wrong with my skink?

Postby Salamander95 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:22 pm

Hello, friends, I am a new BTS owner! I just recently acquired a Tiliqua gigas from the ATL reptile show. I have noticed some things that look out of place with my skink. At first, I was concerned it was mites but I haven't seen any nor their white defecation. I'm not exactly sure what the issue is perhaps shedding? I do not want to jump to conclusions since I am new to owning this type of reptile. There appears to be scarring on the top of his head or something likened to a dark scab also the dark crusty area around his nostrils. Then on his right cheek, there is this dark crusty raised spot. I will upload pictures. Any information as to what the issue could be would be greatly appreciated!
20181016_141430.jpg

20181016_141443.jpg

20181016_141518.jpg

20181016_141727.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Salamander95
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: What is wrong with my skink?

Postby Salamander95 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:29 pm

Update: I took him to the vet and got him checked out. He had an abscess in his mouth and the large black spot was dead and soon to be infected scale. Got an oral antibiotic and a cream to put on what is now a little sore spot. Going to be A-Ok wahoo!
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Re: What is wrong with my skink?

Postby splashy07 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:55 am

Good that you got him to a vet. Indonesian skinks are almost always imported (especially ones at expos) and often come in with health issues. All the best to you and your new pet!

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”