Potential baby?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
BlueyElla
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Potential baby?

Postby BlueyElla » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:31 am

I found a place near me that sells baby blues for a very reasonable price (70-90USD). The animals seem healthy and well tempered! I called them but didn’t catch what type. P sure it’s a Northern but I don’t know haha
Last edited by BlueyElla on Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Re: Potential baby?

Postby splashy07 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:42 am

Northerns for $70-90?? Not in this country. They may be skinks but not blue tongues.
BlueyElla
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby BlueyElla » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:21 am

They are for sure Blue Tongues... no idea why they’re so cheap.
kingofnobbys
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Postby kingofnobbys » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:43 am

BlueyElla wrote:They are for sure Blue Tongues... no idea why they’re so cheap.

Only reasons I can think of for this price discrepancy cf "NORMAL" BTS pricing in the USA are :
>>> being sold too young ( if indeed captive bred by a local breeder )…. very risky …. there are reptile equivs of puppy farms with even worse conditions for the unfortunate breeding stock and offspring ==> highly recommend visiting the breeder and eyeballing the conditions their breeders and young skinks are kept under , and the condition of the parents and of the siblings
>>> internationally trafficked and illegally taken from the wild , ask to see the breeding facility and the patents
>>> injured or sick and want off load
BlueyElla
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby BlueyElla » Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:27 am

Thank you! I think I’ll try to order from BHB if possible, as they’re super close and got lots of great reviews. :thumbs:

I also just called the place recently and one employee said he would send me a picture so I could tell him what type of blue tongue it was :lol:

Here is the link to the cheap place by the way, blueys are at the bottom.http://www.greatlakesreptile.com/LIZARDS.html
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:52 am

Sorry, not to be believed unless seen. Make sure you get a picture of the ACTUAL animal being sold. If it is true I'd like to buy them all just to save the breeders in this country doing it for a living. But I am positive this is not real.
kingofnobbys
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Postby kingofnobbys » Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:56 am

BlueyElla wrote:Thank you! I think I’ll try to order from BHB if possible, as they’re super close and got lots of great reviews. :thumbs:

I also just called the place recently and one employee said he would send me a picture so I could tell him what type of blue tongue it was :lol:

Here is the link to the cheap place by the way, blueys are at the bottom.http://www.greatlakesreptile.com/LIZARDS.html

The seller doesn't know what species of bluetongue skink they are trying to sell ???? …. see my post above ….. these skinks have been taken from the wild (is illegal in all counties where BTS are native species) and trafficked (again illegally) ….. I would not be dealing with this mob . Find a LEGITIMATE breeder who has a captive breeding program would be my advise …. be prepared to pay for a reptile with a KNOWN HISTORY.
kingofnobbys
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Postby kingofnobbys » Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:59 am

splashy07 wrote:Sorry, not to be believed unless seen. Make sure you get a picture of the ACTUAL animal being sold. If it is true I'd like to buy them all just to save the breeders in this country doing it for a living. But I am positive this is not real.

…. I agree ….. visit the "breeder" and ask to see a selection of babies / juveniles , and the rearing tanks , and the mother and father , and the breeding facility …. if they wont let you see all this ….. walk away.
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:02 am

Yes, ditto what King said, or prepare yourself for some ridiculous vet bills. You can not find a Northern BTS with three legs missing in this country for that price. And if he sends you a picture of a northern, he could have gotten it anywhere off the internet. Please look elsewhere. Some of us put our heart and soul and a bucket full of money into doing this right.
BlueyElla
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby BlueyElla » Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:36 am

Yeah I don’t think I’ll be shopping there haha
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:00 am

Please do yourself a favor and wait till next season for a baby Northern if that's what you want. The picture on his site is an Indonesian, and even that would cost more than that.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”