Substrate in “privates”

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Hermietheskink
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Substrate in “privates”

Postby Hermietheskink » Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:10 am

Hi everyone,

I’m new to the forum. I have had my Kei Island since Feb. of 2017, so he’s almost a year old. He is a healthy guy, eats normal, temps and humidity are normal. I’ve noticed lately that he has somehow been getting substrate (eco earth) in his “privates” area. I don’t know the correct anatomical name for that area, basically the flap that covers everything. I do have pictures.

I was wondering if anyone else has come in contact with this with their own skink and if they had any advice. It’s been going on for about a week. I typically will rinse the area out with warm water. If he urinates it clears it out a bit as well. I’ve been checking on him daily, in case I need to help clean him up. I don’t understand how he keeps getting substrate in there. I noticed today after washing him off that the scales around the area look a little funky. He’s also starting a shed, I don’t know if that will affect how those scales are looking.

Any advice is greatly appreciated, as far as if there is anything I can do here at home before consulting a vet.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Susann
ADMIN
ADMIN

Re: Substrate in “privates”

Postby Susann » Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:26 pm

I know this post is almost a month old, and I really hope you've gotten advice from some other place. If not and he still looks like that, please respond so I can help you.
Breeder and keeper of Meraukes from 2010 to 2022.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”