Figs

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Suzle87
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast

Figs

Postby Suzle87 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:25 am

Just a quick question, I bought some figs for Ventress, previously I have scooped out the middle and mixed it in with his food a bit, but I was wondering could I just give it to him whole and leave him to work it out/eat whatever bits he wants? Or is the skin harmful? I just thought it might be good to give him something to think about? Any thoughts much appreciated
vana
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: Figs

Postby vana » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:32 am

Fresh figs? I can't see why you could feed it to him whole.

Dried figs would probably be too tough for him to handle though.
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:19 pm

Anything that can crush a snail would have no problem with a fig. I don't see why not, although I have never tried it myself.
Suzle87
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast

Postby Suzle87 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:48 pm

Yeh fresh ones, il give it a good wash and see what he does with it tomorrow, may be entertaining! I just thought it might be good to give him something to think about, we shall see!! Thanks for getting back to me
lifesagame
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby lifesagame » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:58 am

I was about to ask the same question, we got some on offer today and wondered whether the skin would be ok too. Would be interesting to see what Ventress thinks of it, Norbert’s too small for a whole one but he’s never tried fig before. Them figuring out what to do with a whole one sounds like it could be fun to watch. :D
Suzle87
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast

Postby Suzle87 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:03 am

lifesagame wrote:I was about to ask the same question, we got some on offer today and wondered whether the skin would be ok too. Would be interesting to see what Ventress thinks of it, Norbert’s too small for a whole one but he’s never tried fig before. Them figuring out what to do with a whole one sounds like it could be fun to watch. :D

Well sad to say disinterested would be an understatement... he just looked at it, slat his tongue out a few times, then went on the usual adventure to between the side of my bed and the bedside table!! he did eat yesterday so i shall wait until he seems a bit more hungry and try again!! let me know how you go on with yours.
lifesagame
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby lifesagame » Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:50 am

A bit late but Norbert was quite happy with his fig when I tried a second time. The first he wasn’t bothered and left it there but the second time he deicded to give it a go when I tried it with the skin, maybe to stop me from holding it in front of him, and he decided he liked it. I think he didn’t like just the middle as he seems to prefer things with a bit of bite to them rather than mushy stuff.

Did Ventress learn to love the whole fig or still not interested?
Suzle87
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast

Postby Suzle87 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:43 am

lifesagame wrote:A bit late but Norbert was quite happy with his fig when I tried a second time. The first he wasn’t bothered and left it there but the second time he deicded to give it a go when I tried it with the skin, maybe to stop me from holding it in front of him, and he decided he liked it. I think he didn’t like just the middle as he seems to prefer things with a bit of bite to them rather than mushy stuff.

Did Ventress learn to love the whole fig or still not interested?

Glad you had more joy with Norbert than me with Ventress... still no interest in them so I am glad i got them with some money off instead of full price!! Ive started my own little silk worm colony now, they hatched yesterday and are already eating none stop, so hopefully he will like those...otherwise im going to have another 100 pets haha.
lifesagame
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby lifesagame » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:57 am

I was thinking of trying some silkworms for Norbert when he's a bit bigger. I like the idea of starting a colony of something and having livefood available all the time but always worry one lizard wouldn't be able to get through them. At the moment he isn't a fussy eater except when it comes to livefood, he's not a fan of bugs at all. I tried some roaches and he's eaten three but I have the rest of the tub in a cricket keeper for now.
Suzle87
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast

Postby Suzle87 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:35 am

lifesagame wrote:I was thinking of trying some silkworms for Norbert when he's a bit bigger. I like the idea of starting a colony of something and having livefood available all the time but always worry one lizard wouldn't be able to get through them. At the moment he isn't a fussy eater except when it comes to livefood, he's not a fan of bugs at all. I tried some roaches and he's eaten three but I have the rest of the tub in a cricket keeper for now.

I had exactly the same trouble with roaches, he's such a big baby I had to kill them for him first which i didn't like doing, and he would only eat them on occasion. The one time he did try and eat one he dropped it and pretty much ran off as it tried to escape under my door!! If i manage to get a lot of silkworms going and have to many I can perhaps post you some, you are UK arent you?

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”