Night time temps

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
coconuttaco
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Night time temps

Postby coconuttaco » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:46 am

I live in Bay wArea California, and now the night time temps outside have been dropping.
My meraukes tank is on the hardwoodfloor, next to our sliding glass door. His temps are all fine, early this morning before his lights turn on is 71. I think that’s fine right now. Just outside his tank by the window is 64. I know it will get considerably more cold outside as the fall/winter comes. Our area drops to as low as 34-37F at night time. I have a CHE on the far left side of the tank.

He will almost always, 95% of the time, sleep on the far right side of his tank.
Question is, what is the lowest temps he should have at night time?
He doesn’t brumate during winter. But I want to make sure he is comfortable when it gets really cold. Should I move the CHE to the right side area where he sleeps in to be safe? If it drops to 60-65 is this too cold? At what point should I be worried and add heat to that side he sleeps on? Just trying to get an idea of what temps inside his tank should be comfortable for him and what is actually too cold.

Any input or advice would be appareciated.
Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kingofnobbys
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Re: Night time temps

Postby kingofnobbys » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:13 am

Not the best location
>>> the hardwood floor will draw the heat out of the air
>>> the big sliding glass door will be huge hear sink in winter UNLESS you have double glazed door or it's thermally coated or you have a very thick curtain covering it.

I'd be trying to keep the skinks tanks no cooler than 22 degC overnight.
coconuttaco
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: Night time temps

Postby coconuttaco » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:30 am

I’m aware not the best location, but that’s what it is and that isn’t changing. For our house, this is the best and really only location.

However, I can adjust things to make the temps where they should be around.

I think I will have to move the CHE to the far right side, that should solve the problem and keep the temp above 70F.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”