Brumation and Eating

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Phil2018
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Brumation and Eating

Postby Phil2018 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:12 pm

Hi everyone,

This is my first post on this forum but have been reading posts on here for a while. I’ve had an eastern blue tongue lizard called Phil since last December who lives in an outdoor enclosure. I live in Brisbane so the conditions outside are pretty ideal for her. Even in winter it still stays warm and I bring her indoors into a temporary enclosure if it’s too cold. Judging by the breeding season months and the size she was when I got her I’m guessing she is now just over a year old. This winter she went into brumation so she hasn’t been eating for a while but I’ve continued to offer it just in case. I’m a little concerned because I thought she would be eating by now but she will only eat a mouthful of food about every two weeks. I’ve tried offering her her favourite foods mixed in with a variety of veggies but she will only eat a bite at the most. Should she be eating by now? Her cage is in a really sunny spot where she has been basking for several hours a day so I thought she should be eating by now. She also shedded a couple of weeks ago and is still looking quite healthy. Any advice would be appreciated :D

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”