Poop cleaning...

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
coconuttaco
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Poop cleaning...

Postby coconuttaco » Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:09 pm

Hello!
I have a merauke (male) and a northern (female), both little over 2 years old. Haven’t posted in a while, but I tried to search for this and have not seen anything. Different type of poop question here... :shock:
Both of them, generally speaking will go poop/ pee roughly in the same areas consistently. The issue is when they go, if I’m home late or I don’t clean it right away they have no problem walking right into it and through it. Shmearing it over their belly/feet. Love these guys! And they beg to come hang out. But obviously it’s pretty gross and quite a hassle to clean up.
Is there a safe way to properly clean or somewhat sanitize them? :lol: :noknow:

For shedding I have never had any problems and have never needed to soak them. I have gently rinsed them in the sink when they do this, but just plain water and rinsing off doesn’t get rid of the smell at all. A drop of mild soap for a mild solution to spot clean them? I don’t want them absorbing anything harmful...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Re: Poop cleaning...

Postby splashy07 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:03 am

Unfortunately it's just what they do. I work full time and come home to messy situations often myself. I give them a sponge bath with a tiny bit of Dawn dishwashing liquid. Just be careful of their eyes and ears. I used to do the same when I kept bearded dragons, they were even messier and much smellier!
kingofnobbys
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Postby kingofnobbys » Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:29 am

My skinks and dragons, are very well trained , they have a spot in each of their tanks that is the latrine spot , so I deposit a few layers of paper towels there , I have them all trained to poo on the paper from when they were little (lizard potty training when they were little baby BTs and hatchling beardies. Even my rescued wild skinks have been potty trained (they all pick up on if they lift the bum / tail I slip paper under and they poo on it).

They rarely poo elsewhere in their tanks (I do check each day) , being retired I'm home most days and spend a lot of time with the pets either nursing/petting them, caring for them (feeding), watching each when on having freerange fun time on the floor, so I often see them pooing (and deal with it right away , and if I don't I am told off by the skinks or dragons by them letting me know they are not happy and want the smelly disgusting object gone or for me to take them out of the tank.

I rearly have lizard accidents , it is always my fault when they poo on the carpet , the lino or on me.
Last edited by kingofnobbys on Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:25 am

Well, you are lucky. Most reptiles 'go' wherever they happen to be.
coconuttaco
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby coconuttaco » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:16 am

That is pretty lucky for sure.
My 2 dragons are potty trained and won’t go in their tank, only during soaking time.
But my merauke will go behind his plant or hide then walk into it. I am pretty on top of cleaning my tanks but it does happen from time to time.

My question was bacially what to do when this does happen and how to safely clean/sanitize them from feces on their body. Thank you splashy for input. That’s what I do, just wanted to see what advice others had.

Nice to hear how well trained yours are.... Wish I had the free time for that type of care :thumbs:

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”