Heating Questions

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Liz610
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Heating Questions

Postby Liz610 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:51 pm

Hello,

I am getting my new baby northern blue tongue skink next week and am trying to set everything up so its as perfect as it can be for the little guy or girl. Currently I have been struggling with getting the appropriate temperature for my basking side of the tank. With a basking light I was getting upwards of 115 to 120 degrees on my basking tile, which was way to hot. So after some returning of basking lights and what not I currently have a ceramic 100W light installed with the basking tile reading about 105 to 110 degrees, with a 60W light it wasnt reaching 100 so I thought the 100W would be better but I just want to make sure it isnt too hot again. Some sites say basking areas should be 100, while others say 110. Also, should I leave the ceramic light on during the night as well? The tank is split with a warm side and a cool side so I just wasnt sure if I sure set the ceramic light on a timer along with my UVB bulbs. Any advice would help!
BlueBella
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: Heating Questions

Postby BlueBella » Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:40 pm

100 degrees is what you should be aiming for. I know some people say 105-110 is ok, but I personally think that anything above 105 is too hot. As for the ceramic heat emitter, you don't have to leave it on at night as long as your night time temps don't drop below 60 degrees.
1.0 Northern Blue Tongue Skink—Deckard
0.2 Mutts—Penny and Roxy
0.2 Guinea Pigs—Pumpkin and Potato

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”