Not Pooping

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
BlueBella
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Not Pooping

Postby BlueBella » Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:36 am

So I have had my skink Deckard, for 4 months now and he is a little over a year old. Recently, I have noticed that he has not been pooping at all. When I first got him he didn't eat much but still pooped everyday, even when he was sick with diarreah. But after getting him meds for the diarreah, he has been pooping way less. At first it was kinda gradual just not as much as usual and then it got worse and worse, to the point where I don't really know the last time he went. I would say 2 weeks ago, and it was under the substrate and not very big. At first when this started happening I wasn't very worried as he was eating and active. He barely eats anything now, and never comes out to bask. My temps are 98-102 on the basking spot and 80-91 ambient on the hot end and 75-79 on the cool end. I have no idea whats going on, I tried feeding him egg, but even that didn't work. Is he sick or is it an issue with his environment or diet?
1.0 Northern Blue Tongue Skink—Deckard
0.2 Mutts—Penny and Roxy
0.2 Guinea Pigs—Pumpkin and Potato
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN
Your Facebook name: Janella Poch

Re: Not Pooping

Postby Janella » Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:51 pm

I would get him to a vet asap. A skink not eating or producing stool is not good. What kind is he again? What is your humidity? What was he on the meds for diarrhea for?
BlueBella
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby BlueBella » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:19 pm

He is a Northern and the humidity has been quite high here lately in the 50-60% I have been trying to get it down but not with a lot of luck. I will see if I can get him to eat tomorrow if he doesn't then I will schedule a vet appointment.
0.2 Mutts—Penny and Roxy
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby Janella » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:23 pm

Okay, humidity shouldn't be the issue. I am a LVT and I work with exotics on a regular basis. I am not going to lie, I am concerned. I would schedule a visit asap if he doesn't eat. Keep me posted ok?
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:58 am

Ditto Janella. Vet check couldn't hurt. Humidity has never affected mine, it is extremely humid here on Long Island in the summer, and this has never affected my skinks. (Northerns/Easterns)
Keep us posted, I am concerned as well.
BlueBella
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby BlueBella » Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:10 pm

We fed him again and he actually ate at least 4 large bites of Wellness Turkey with some bok choy that we hand fed him. Is it possible that he is just a skink that needs to be hand fed? He didn't eat all of it but he ate more than he has in the past 3 weeks. He acted completely normal today too, so maybe I thought he was acting weird because I only see him at certain times of the day. The only concerning thing now is not pooping. Could he possibly be just not pooping because he hasn't been eating?
0.2 Mutts—Penny and Roxy
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby Janella » Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:42 pm

I am glad you got him to eat something. That is good. I would still watch him very very close. Reptiles are notorious for hiding their elements. His lack of stool could be from the not eating, but it can also be from other issues as well.
kingofnobbys
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Postby kingofnobbys » Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:04 am

BlueBella wrote:We fed him again and he actually ate at least 4 large bites of Wellness Turkey with some bok choy that we hand fed him. Is it possible that he is just a skink that needs to be hand fed? He didn't eat all of it but he ate more than he has in the past 3 weeks. He acted completely normal today too, so maybe I thought he was acting weird because I only see him at certain times of the day. The only concerning thing now is not pooping. Could he possibly be just not pooping because he hasn't been eating?

I think it's worth having a vet check him , xrays will tell pretty quickly if he's got an impaction. If he is impacted …. giving solid foods is not a good idea, as the solids will only build up in his GIT and rot until his impaction can be cleared ….

I'd be giving wet slurries and purees and perhaps baby food pumpkin and apple sauce and some olive oil (about 0.4ml) by syringe daily to try to get his plumbing unblocked. Keep an eye on his weight too.
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby Janella » Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:38 am

All very true in the last response. All good suggestions to try.
BlueBella
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby BlueBella » Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:56 pm

Update: I poked around Deckard's cage today and found a decent sized poop buried beneath the substrate. It looked a little old probably from a few days to a week ago. I still bought some baby food and applesauce to use in case he has trouble again. Hopefully this poo is a sign that things are looking up again. :D
0.2 Mutts—Penny and Roxy
kingofnobbys
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Postby kingofnobbys » Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:37 am

I still think a vet needs to assess him , xrays to check for impaction and other serious internal issues are what i'd be demanding..... then take it from there depending on what is found .

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”