New Bluey scared and hides

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
AtomShards
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

New Bluey scared and hides

Postby AtomShards » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:02 am

I baught a new blue tongue skink at the age of 6months and he constantly hides in the substrate and spends most of his days asleep/hiding under it all. My enclosure has one end with a heat lamp and the other with UV, generally the heat lamp side is around 30°-40°C and the other around 19°-24°C and its winter here right now. Also im concerned about his breathing, it always seems like it takes effort and is quite sharp. He has plenty of other hiding spaces and places to explore, i offer food and he runs and hides, i also havent seen him at his water bowl but i have cleaned up his feces as i left a little food in his enclosure. I also checked his UV and its the correct light for a blue tongue (5.0). Im really worried about his health and quality of life if he is always scared or unable to breathe properly. All help and advice is greatly appreciate.
lunarisx
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: New Bluey scared and hides

Postby lunarisx » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:16 am

Probably humidity problem or your bts is adapting or just having shy personality.

They are smart lizard and can recognize pattern. Just dont give reward for bad behavior.
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN
Your Facebook name: Janella Poch

Postby Janella » Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:42 pm

Can you provide more information about your skinks? What species is it? What is your humidity? What size enclosure and substrate? Diet? All these will help us give you the proper answers. As for breathing issue...if you are concerned then a vet visit is always recommend.
lifesagame
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby lifesagame » Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:17 am

How long have you had him? I can’t add anything really as I’m new to skinks but I don’t think I’ve ever seen my skink in his bowl but he definitely visits it as he makes a mess in it sometimes.
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:22 am

Give him time to get used to you. As far as the breathing, they always breathe hard and sometimes loudly when scared. Offer him enticing foods, experiment to see what he likes best. He will learn to trust you, it may take a little time depending also on his previous care.
AtomShards
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby AtomShards » Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:17 am

Thank you all for your help, it seems he is just adjusting to the new home and everything. He sleeps all day untill i pull him out of wherever he is hiding then he will stay being curios and sitting on his rock and stuff so im not sure what to do about all that. Also does anyone hav ideas on how to stop them from urinating and pooping on my.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”