Heat mat, heat lamp or both?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Harm_rl
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Heat mat, heat lamp or both?

Postby Harm_rl » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:35 am

Hi,

Recently i was looking to get a BTS. :D :D :D
But i do not know if i should get a heat mat or a heat lamp or mayby even both.
And how do i set the heating/lighting up?

Thanks
lunarisx
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: Heat mat, heat lamp or both?

Postby lunarisx » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:10 pm

Id rather have a heatlamp and put ceramic tile under it and then modify that ceramic tile into a hot hide.
kingofnobbys
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Postby kingofnobbys » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:59 pm

I have both in each of my eastern BT's 4ft x 2ft x 18"tall tanks :
> a basking globe (a Philips par38 80W clear colourless incandescent spot globe) I have cement pavers set up as a low hollow pyramid the top of which serves as the primary basking spots for each BT,
> a 7W film style heatpad set up as show here : https://www.beardeddragon.org/forums/vi ... s#p1746469 , the BT's have their jumbo Hubbahut hides ontop the warmed tiles in each tank, the heatslab & hide is in the cool zone of their tanks,
+ a 26W UVB200 in a Nano Hood for each BT.

Coloured heatglobes are NOT appropriate , night lights are not appropriate either for any BTS.

If you are in a cold (European or Nth American) climate , where it gets chillier than 21 degC overnight, a CHE is going to be beneficial for keeping the BT warmer than 21 degC overnight (the CHE will need to be controlled by a dimming thermostat (and can in this case be run 24/7 so it suppliments the heat provided by the basking globe).

The basking, warm zone and cool zone daytime temperatures are dependent on the species of BTS you are going to buy.

The level of UVA & UVB (both are MANDATORY FOR ALL SPECIES OF BTS) depends on the species of BTS.

The humidity level is dependent on the species of BTS (some come from equatorial rain forest and grasslands (high RH), others from subtropical woodlands / grasslands (moderate RH) and Northern require low to moderate RH.
Harm_rl
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Harm_rl » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:16 am

lunarisx wrote:Id rather have a heatlamp and put ceramic tile under it and then modify that ceramic tile into a hot hide.

thanks
Harm_rl
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Harm_rl » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:17 am

kingofnobbys wrote:I have both in each of my eastern BT's 4ft x 2ft x 18"tall tanks :
> a basking globe (a Philips par38 80W clear colourless incandescent spot globe) I have cement pavers set up as a low hollow pyramid the top of which serves as the primary basking spots for each BT,
> a 7W film style heatpad set up as show here : https://www.beardeddragon.org/forums/vi ... s#p1746469 , the BT's have their jumbo Hubbahut hides ontop the warmed tiles in each tank, the heatslab & hide is in the cool zone of their tanks,

Coloured heatglobes are NOT appropriate , night lights are not appropriate either for any BTS.

If you are in a cold (European or Nth American) climate , where it gets chillier than 21 degC overnight, a CHE is going to be beneficial for keeping the BT warmer than 21 degC overnight (the CHE will need to be controlled by a dimming thermostat (and can in this case be run 24/7 so it suppliments the heat provided by the basking globe).

The basking, warm zone and cool zone daytime temperatures are dependent on the species of BTS you are going to buy.

The level of UVA & UVB (both are MANDATORY FOR ALL SPECIES OF BTS) depends on the species of BTS.

The humidity level is dependent on the species of BTS (some come from equatorial rain forest and grasslands (high RH), others from subtropical woodlands / grasslands (moderate RH) and Northern require low to moderate RH.

thanks
kingofnobbys
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Postby kingofnobbys » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:23 pm

lunarisx wrote:Id rather have a heatlamp and put ceramic tile under it and then modify that ceramic tile into a hot hide.

I use concrete pavers (3x) per skink's tank , stacked to form a hollow pyramid shape (or bridge), the BTs can bask on top, the surfaces are rough so they trim their nails, and the skinks can crawl under the top paver (the 3 pavers form a hide) , the pavers get warm under the basking globe and hold the warmth for a while after the lights go out .
RyanM
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby RyanM » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:08 am

kingofnobbys wrote:I have both in each of my eastern BT's 4ft x 2ft x 18"tall tanks :

Noob question...what is a "CHE"? Ceramic heating...element?
kingofnobbys
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Postby kingofnobbys » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:41 am

RyanM wrote:

Noob question...what is a "CHE"? Ceramic heating...element?
ceramic heating element ie http://www.exo-terra.com/en/products/ceramic_heater.php
vana
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby vana » Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:36 am

Look at a radiant heat panel on a thermostat also.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”