Repti fogger/ humidity

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Vikav0lt
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Repti fogger/ humidity

Postby Vikav0lt » Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:25 pm

:noknow: Question for anyone that could give some advice, I have a merauke bts and I'm looking to keep a solid 70 % humidity . I purchased the "repti fogger" and I figured out that I can hold 70 on the lowest setting but it runs all the time. Now my question is, can too much "fog" be bad for the skink ? :noknow:
kayla990
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Re: Repti fogger/ humidity

Postby kayla990 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:34 pm

Hello! Have you tried setting it up on a timer? For us the average humidity in the room is ~50% (we got a room humidifier to increase it from 30%). But as we have a Halmahera who needs it to be 80-90%, we've found it fine to switch the fogger on cycles - (can be rotating between on/off from 30mins to 2hours, depends on how the vivarium is set up).

When it's quite thick fog you may find your skink will sneeze more (but doesn't seem an issue) and with time doesn't seem to bother them - we've found ours sat directly underneath the thick fog, seemingly just for fun! If you find it's too much fog or they are avoiding it, adding in a fan dissipates it well (but make sure the lid of the tank is mainly covered by something to maintain the humidity inside the tank...and just to add - make sure it's a fan safe for high humidity levels).

Otherwise I would say to use additional sphagnum moss (along with using the typical substrates for higher humidity, such as cococoir/orchid bark/mulch). Goodluck!
- Hons. Degree Animal Management -4 years volunteer in a Zoo -10 years volunteer in animal shelters -Enclosure enthusiast

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”