College Skink

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
PossibleSkinkParent
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

College Skink

Postby PossibleSkinkParent » Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:51 pm

Hi everybody!!!! I’m a senior in highschool and I am applying to schools. All the schools I chose to apply to are pet friendly (a must in my opinion), and in short I’m looking for the animal I want to be my companion through school. At the top of my list are the BTS and Bearded Dragon. I had a bearded dragon for 5 years and fell in love with the personable little girl, but at this time of many changes I feel it might be time to choose a new friend. So I have come to the forum to ask a few questions.

If given adequate space and lighting would a BTS be able to live in a busy dorm environment without becoming stressed?

Would a BTS be an animal that would enjoy being handled and coming out of there enclosure for extended periods?

How are the care requirements similar and different to a bearded dragon?

Do BTS have personalities like bearded dragons?

Thank you so much for reading.

-PossibleSkinkParent
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Re: College Skink

Postby splashy07 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:29 am

Personally I do not think a college dorm is a place for any pet, much less a reptile. They have awesome personalities, similar to bearded dragons, but IMO are easier to care for. I would wait though, till you're done with school and are in a more settled environment before considering pets. Just my opinion.
vana
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby vana » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:17 am

BTS require large cages, and are probably not ideal for a dorm room for this reason.
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:44 am

And I can think of a million more reasons why a pet is unsuitable for a dorm room....
kingofnobbys
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Postby kingofnobbys » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:31 am

splashy07 wrote:And I can think of a million more reasons why a pet is unsuitable for a dorm room....

…. including
will you even have the money to care for it properly while still a student (or are mum and dad going to pay for all the skink's needs ?
will you even have the time to give it the time and attention it's needs ? ..., if you are serious about getting good grades you will be working your butt of with study , assignments, laboratories , tutorials and attending lectures - not fair for a skink
will you have a room to yourself ? not fair to a skink to force it to live in very crowded and noisy dorm - it will be very stressed.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”