Tips for bonding and Eating problems?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
probablyaflower
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Tips for bonding and Eating problems?

Postby probablyaflower » Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:52 pm

I've had my indonesian bluey since April and have been working to bond with him. I've definitely seen improvement after handling daily, but I'm still having trouble in some places. I'm hoping to have a very tame and active skink but he (or she) seems to be more of the grumpy and lazy type. Is this ever going to change? How long does it usually take for your skink to fully bond?

On a more important note he seems to have a lesser appetite. Will only eat wet dog food. I've tried mixing greens (spring mix, yellow squash, carrots, even cactus pads) in with them but he picks them out or just doesn't eat at all. He's around 6 - 8 months old now and only eats once every week or once every two weeks. I've tried treats like insects and eggs but he won't even touch them. I give him plenty of opportunities to eat, but he usually dismisses it. He won't eat unless I hand feed or am right next to him. If I leave it in the tank with him it will go untouched until I'm forced to remove it due to it being out for too long. His humidity is around 70% - 80% and the temp is usually at 75 - 85 on the cool side. I almost never see him on the warm side. I've seen him there about 15 times of the almost three months I've owned him. I measured the temp there a few weeks back and i think it was around 103? Depending on where I put the thermometer it was no warmer than 105 and no cooler than 98. The bedding is 75% coconut mulch and the rest is shavings, all mixed together. Do I just have a picky eater or is this a bigger issue?

Important information: He had a bit of a respiratory problem a few weeks back but I took him into a vet and got him on meds (he's off of them now). He's not completely better, a few sneezes here and there but it's a HUGE improvement from before. I'm going to bring him to the vet again for a post visit to make sure he's good to go and mention his eating problems. The place I go to isn't a reptile expert so they might not have an answer for the eating habits.

If anyone can give me advice on his eating and bonding, it would be greatly appreciated!
kingofnobbys
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Re: Tips for bonding and Eating problems?

Postby kingofnobbys » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:50 pm

Yes --- he'll tone it down a lot as he matures …. he's currently just a typical teenager .

IMO there is nothing more effective than having a daily handfeeding w/ snuggles and petting ritual with a baby/hatchling or juvenile lizard (skink or dragon) …… it does wonders for developing a strong lizard <==> human bond and for taming a lizard.

Trick is to give food items you know your pet lizard really likes …. ie nice juicy worms (ie silkworms) or even mealwork lava or pupa or a superworm or two.

IMO dog food is NOT appropriate unless it's all that is available in an emergency …. you need to move more towards this as he matures
https://www.completecritter.com/blue-tongue-skink.html

as a juvenile at under 12 months old , insects every day are what I'd be doing in his diet and feeding schedule, I'd be choosing from
Silkworms
snails
roaches *
locusts *
crickets *
* gut loaded with high calcium , high protein greens and root vegs , dusted with Calcium

occasional
mealworms (all stages)
superworms (all stages).

Regarding med - likely antibiotics , so his gut flora has been decimated …. there are reptile probiotics that can be given to remedy this and help improve his willingness to eat.
What does Probiotics contain?
It contains nine strains of beneficial organisms (bacteria, yeasts and moulds) which naturally reside in the lining of the intestine and keep intestinal cells healthy.

What is the benefits of Probiotics?
> It helps to restore the microflora balance in the gut, and with it the animals' digestive efficiency.
> Break down food for digestion and helps the absorption of vitamins and calcium.
> Reduce stress
> Helps to build up a natural defences against disease and infections.
> Reducing and preventing diarrhoea
> Enhancing the immune system
> Reducing inflammation
> Preventing allergic reactions
> Reducing chronic constipation
> Changing the acidic environment in the intestine to create less desirable conditions for harmful organisms.
> Reduce Salmonella in all reptiles

When to use Probiotics?
> Every day or dusting once a week will keep the bad bacteria at bay, increase the appetite and make the digestive system more efficient.
> When animals are under stress (change of environment, illness)
> During and after antibiotic therapy, to replace the beneficial flora and speed up recovery
> To increase the appetite
> For newborn animals, to establish 'good' bacteria in stomachs instead of 'bad'
> Especially during diarrhoea to stop the diarrhoea and normalise the stomach.
> When the animal have a 'windy' tummy
> When the animal seems bloated
> After regurgitation or puking

Can too much probiotics be harmful?
You can't overdose an animal with probiotics, the body flushes out the excess. Make 100% sure that you purchase pure probiotics with no added vitamins.

Probiotic products:
Nutribac, Bene-Bac, Protexin Soluble, AcidophiLiz.
probablyaflower
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby probablyaflower » Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:01 am

Thank you. I'll try to get my hands on some probiotics. As for feeding, I'll ditch the dog and have already ordered more insects. I've given him superworms, crickets, and snails, but he refuses to touch them. I've never seen him eat them once, actually he seemed scared of them. I'm just worried he won't eat them this time and I'll have no choice but to feed more dog food.

Would Bluey Buffet be okay to feed? He seems to like more wet food than insects. Maybe i could mix insects in with it?

https://www.store.repashy.com/bluey-buffet-3-oz-jar-clone.html?tt=111
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN
Your Facebook name: Janella Poch

Postby Janella » Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:42 am

Hi there. I just wanted to add a couple of of things with your skink. First and foremost a skinks are different. Some like being handled others don't. You can keep working on it, but Indonesian skinks are notorious for being the hardest to handle. It doesn't mean they can't be, but it takes longer and some just don't ever learn to like it. Keep working at yours. Offer favorite treats, talk to your skink, have quiet times together, etc. I hope over time it will work out.

As for the not eating well. Antibiotics can absolutely mess up there poor little systems. You can try probiotics, it may help. Also something called Reptiboost works great for them also. I personally don't see why you can't feed wet.dog food. Make sure it is good quality brand.
Mine love Natural Balance Gobbler Cobbler or Chow Down chowder. However, I would start blending in his veggies and fruits in a food processor so he can't pick out what he doesn't like. You can also blend in egg with the dog food or try other protein sources. Mine love ground lean turkey, chicken gizzard and hearts, canned snails, and insects. He also may be one of those skinks that you just have to hand feed if he won't eat any other way.

If you try all these things and he continues to be punky and won't eat then I would absolutely have him checked out again by a reptile vet. Have a fecal checked as well if one hasn't been done.

Good luck with your baby and let us know how things go

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”