He ate chewed up gum

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Angcious
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

He ate chewed up gum

Postby Angcious » Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:47 am

This is really embarrassing. My younger bts has always been obsessed with bubble gum. If he hears you opening up a piece, he comes running. A couple of times he'd pushed his nose into my mouth to try to get to it :roll: He had never even tasted it before...until now.
Last night, I noticed something sticky on the side of his mouth that I had a hard time getting off. Couldn't figure out what it was. Afterwards he ate 7 smaller dubias. Then my son remembered he almost fell asleep with gum in his mouth, said he put it on a piece of paper and tried to hide it from me until he got up to throw it away but forgot. When he went to get the gum, the paper was there but no gum. It was then obvious that the stuff on my bts's mouth was some gum.
This morning, he looks ok even though it's too early for him to be active yet. I called the vet's office, they told me to call poison control which I haven't done yet.
Since he's acting ok right now, I don't see the point of taking him to the vet but if he starts acting off, of course I'll take him. Is it possible for him to poop it out? Should I give him something to try to make him poop faster?
kayla990
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Re: He ate chewed up gum

Postby kayla990 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:18 am

Ahh sorry you didn't get a response - I guess there may not be many with experience with that scenario! How is he doing now? I would have expected it passes through the system (based on them sometimes eating really crazy things, and from stories of other species like Beardies eating gum). Would be great to hear an update when you know for sure, so we can all learn from it (as it can easily happen to anyone!).

While it may not be relevant anymore, I believe I heard that food like pumpkin or butternut squash help towards clearing out their systems.. I'm sure you're already on top of watching for any unusual signs or swelling/loss of appetite, but reckon it's more likely he'll pass it with little issue :)
- Hons. Degree Animal Management -4 years volunteer in a Zoo -10 years volunteer in animal shelters -Enclosure enthusiast
Angcious
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Angcious » Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:40 pm

Hello!! Thanks for the response, the pumpkin would've been an excellent idea!
I fed him a meal shortly after I posted and later that day he pooped...it had the tell tale signs of a few bits of yellow Juicy Fruit gum.
Fortunately, he's been fine and this was a reminder to check ALL over the floors before the little ones come out - any slip ups and they're sure to find it right away!
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN
Your Facebook name: Janella Poch

Postby Janella » Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:36 pm

So glad all turned out ok! Thanks for the update.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”