Newbie needs help

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
CoffeeSkink
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Newbie needs help

Postby CoffeeSkink » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:21 pm

Hello, as the title says I’m new and a bit confused. :helpme:
I will be getting a northern soon and need a little help with the lighting. What kind of bulb is needed and how do I set them up on both ends? From what I understand, wattage depends on the area (what would be recommended?) and UVB is optional right? How would I set it up if I choose to use a UVB? And how do I keep any accidental fires from starting? Also, would you recommend a humidity hide for a northern?
Thanks for your time and sorry for any additional questions I may ask :shock:
lifesagame
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: Newbie needs help

Postby lifesagame » Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:11 am

Hi! I’m pretty new too and this is my first BTS but he’s a northern and does seem to enjoy his humid hide, it definitely has helped with shedding and he’s sometimes ended up crawling in and sleeping there between sheds too. It also doesn’t put humidity too high in the enclosure in general.

With UV, there’s a lot of posts on it, but as far as I know there are two ways of doing uvb, either as a strip light separate to the basking light or in an all in one MVB (mercury vapour bulb). I’ve gone for the strip light and then having the basking lamp separate. With this way I’ve ended up trying a few strengths of bulb for basking so it’s sort of trial and error with that, but with the recent heat it’s a 40 watt bulb (any household bulb works fine) on a dimmer thermostat and seems to do well. There are lots of people with more experience and experts who can give proper advice and the difference between the two but that’s just how I have it set up at the moment and it seems to be working. :)

As far as fires go I don’t have any advice, I have mine on a timer plugged into a surge protected extension lead which stops electrical surges causing problems but that’s it. Also I’m in the uk so not sure the differences in the UK and US when it comes to that.
CoffeeSkink
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: Newbie needs help

Postby CoffeeSkink » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:25 pm

Oh ok, thanks! I feel like this is an odd question but how do you set up the strip light? And do you use soap to clean any hard surfaced accessories in the enclosure?

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”