BTS water bowl tips and strange poop

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
salem
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot

BTS water bowl tips and strange poop

Postby salem » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:12 pm

I was wondering if anyone had tips on how to keep your bts's water bowl clean and how to keep them from pooping in it. I work through the week and so if she dirtys BOTH bowls of water early in the day she is left w/o clean water and I'm worried she could get dehydrated. I usually keep two bowls in her tank but both end up dirty almost immediately.
She also pooped in one today and it seemed like she did not fully digest the food i gave her the previous day. It smelled worse than usual too. I fed her chopped carrots and collard greens yesterday. I did handle her a bit afterwards but she didn't poop until today. Both carrot and greens were not fully digested. She's never done this before and I'm really worried. Could this be caused by being in shed? Or should I consider taking her to the vet? Could i be over feeding her? She's sleeping now so I can't tell if she's behaving weirdly. Please I'm so so worried.
kingofnobbys
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict

Re: BTS water bowl tips and strange poop

Postby kingofnobbys » Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:31 am

I simply take it out and rinse under kitchen tap each day and put fresh water in each day.

In winter this works fine , in summer , every week I also take the water dish out and F10 it after rinsing it …. 30mins to sit with with fine layer of F10sc (1:200) and I simply flip it and let it drain to a piece of paper towel -- this kills any biolayer and slim / algae.

If it's pooed in , my dragons used to do this frequently until I jacked up and removed their water dishes permanently, and sometimes the skinks poo in their water but not very often , I rinse and F10 it before refilling it.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”