To UVB or not to UVB... Skink Momma Confused.

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
llbruno26
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Your Facebook name: Laura Lee

To UVB or not to UVB... Skink Momma Confused.

Postby llbruno26 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:41 pm

I just recently got my 1st Northern BTS. "Blue" is about 3 months old. I set up a 36x18x18 Exo Terra enclosure with a 160W Solar Glo bulb for daytime use and a Blue heat bulb for night time use. The Solar Glo is suppose to be the UVB and Heat in one so it seems logical to get it. I have a basking stone directly under the light which is about 16in or so under the light (taking into account for the substrate it is on raising it just a tad) the temp directly on the stone ranges from 98-110 degrees, with the highest it every reached was 113 (my fan was off in my room so it got warmer) the middle reaches about 85-90ish and the cool end ranges between 73-80ish. I have read so much that I am not more lost than before I started. I have 0 clue how much UVB he actually needs nor how much this bulb puts out at 16in away through a screen top.
So my question is even though he has a UVB bulb is it even doing what it is suppose to? and how do I detemine if he is getting the correct UVB exposure? (Outside trips are not an option at the moment)
AND should I still be supplementing him? and if I should how much of what and how often? Right now we gets fed every other day. Any tips, advice, or comments greatly appreciate. I only want what is best for Blue.
xXxBORISxXx
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: To UVB or not to UVB... Skink Momma Confused.

Postby xXxBORISxXx » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:26 am

Hi there,
The topic of UVB is a complicated one. I'd recommend checking out the youtube channel Reptile Mountain TV with TC Houston, he has many comprehensive videos on the topic and you can make an informed choice about what is best for your skink!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyaNLK ... LLg/videos
Y33T
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: To UVB or not to UVB... Skink Momma Confused.

Postby Y33T » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:43 am

This isn’t about UVB but I recommend using a ceramic heat emitter instead of a blue night light. Night/coloured lights actually do more harm than good as blueys can still sense the light which confuses them thinking its constantly daytime and ruins their sleep pattern.
1.0.2 Tiliqua scincoides scincoides, Kirra, Bajo and Hestu <3

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”