shingleback skink abnormal breathing

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
mrkamelhar@gmail.com
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

shingleback skink abnormal breathing

Postby mrkamelhar@gmail.com » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:55 pm

I have five shingleback skinks total. Two of them live in my bedroom for the last four years in a 130 gallon aquarium that I put blankets on the top to ensure the proper temperature range. I use a paper product substrate and most of the time my skinks are healthy and happy. Once in a while she gets some sort of respiratory thing. My reptile vet found Giardia !!! and treated her with a broad spectrum antibiotic. She responded well and I bruminated them, my male and female Edith and Josh for three months at proper low temperatures. They came out and displayed all the normal signs of mating. It's been three of four months since then. She seems bloated in the belly and is eating well and has good tongue movement and looks energetic and well. Three or four months later Edith is having labored breathing and sometimes when I pick her up she discharges large amounts of clear fluid and small amounts of urates. Does anyone have experience with very pregnant skinks and labored breathing? I'm just trying to figure out if she allergic to the substate or if she is possible pregnant... Thanks in advance for all your help and any info you might provide.
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Re: shingleback skink abnormal breathing

Postby splashy07 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:28 pm

All pregnant skinks show signs of labored breathing at times. Check your humidity levels. They need like zero.
How about some pictures?

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”