Room lights and Food

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Bear9354
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Room lights and Food

Postby Bear9354 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:24 am

I am looking to buy a Blue Tongued Skink and I am more of a late night person myself. Most of the information I’ve read and heard says that the Skink will need a day and night time cycle being diurnal; will me having my room lights on in the middle of the night be a problem for the Skink and will the noise in my room also be a problem while he is both sleeping and awake?

On a second question I’ve heard that most owners will feed their Blue Tongued Skink wet dog food and not home brew, has anyone had any success with home brew and is that a good option to feed my Skink?
lifesagame
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: Room lights and Food

Postby lifesagame » Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:44 am

I’m new to BTS too and I can’t answer the second question really but as far as the lights being on I’ve found my bluey tends to bury himself and ignores any lights outside of his enclosure. He wasn’t so pleased when I turned the lights on when I went up after he’d fallen asleep in the open but just looked annoyed and wandered over to a hide to sleep in. I think it might vary from skink to skink though, maybe if your skink grows up with it it’s less of a problem, I don’t know. Noise also I’ve found isn’t a problem, but it probably depends on the amount of noise. In the day mine just wanders over to the glass to see what’s happening and seems to like it when there’s people in the room. Also he does nap in the open in the day and doesn’t wake up when I walk around or open the cupboard under his home so maybe he’s just a heavy sleeper!
kingofnobbys
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Postby kingofnobbys » Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:59 am

I'm also a somewhat of a night owl, my skinks and beardies are housed in the living area and always have been, they are not bothered by my having some lights on , TV on , but we are a retired couple so it's not generally very noisy even when the TV is on and my scaley 4 legged children seem to sleep OK , often they crash on their hubbahuts / hides / basking spots , even the little water skink.
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:10 am

Agree, mine don't seem to be bothered on those rare occasions I stay up late. Some of mine reside in the same room
where my TV is, and don't even notice when I yell offensive language at hockey teams....

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”