Soon to new BTS owner! (I need some help)

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Zak
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Soon to new BTS owner! (I need some help)

Postby Zak » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:24 am

Hi everyone, I'm looking to buy a BTS. It will be my first reptilian pet ( I have dogs a tarantula and birds ). I have an old 72x24x24 (needs cleaning) fish tank I was planning on using, I will be building a screen lid because it is currently glass panels. I've read a bunch of articles and I think I'm ready to go on with the next step, preparation. I've thrown together a shopping list and I was hoping you pros would be able to tell me your opinions :) so please let me know if I'm missing anything or if I have anything I don't need. Thank you all so much for teaching me so much already and I hope I can share my BTS journey with all of you :D

Also, I live in Illinois if that affects things we keep our house at about 70-75
Zak
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: Soon to new BTS owner! (I need some help)

Postby Zak » Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:13 pm

i forgot to post the link.. http://a.co/9fO8Dqn
megamuff
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby megamuff » Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:29 pm

I’m fairly new to BTS but I feel like I know a decent amount about them lol. If you want my input I’d be glad to help any way I can :D the link doesn’t seem to be working
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN
Your Facebook name: Janella Poch

Postby Janella » Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:10 pm

I couldn't open the link either :-(
Zak
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Zak » Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:44 pm

I think it was on private, should be fixed now sorry!!!
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby Janella » Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:34 pm

Do you know what kind of skink you are getting? Depending on the type, you may want to go with a different substrate. Also they need a large water dish. I also would provide at least one more hide. I personally don't use under the tank heater. I like ceramic heat emitters if you need extra heat. Other than that it looks good.
Zak
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Zak » Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:45 pm

Janella wrote:Do you know what kind of skink you are getting? Depending on the type, you may want to go with a different substrate. Also they need a large water dish. I also would provide at least one more hide. I personally don't use under the tank heater. I like ceramic heat emitters if you need extra heat. Other than that it looks good.

I'm leaning towards a northern, I read somewhere that a pie tin is a great way to save money as well as PVC pipes for hides
PS Thank you so much for your input :)
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby Janella » Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:42 pm

PVC works great for hides or cork bark. I pie dish will work for a water dish, but I recommend the heavier the better. Skinks love to burrow and knock things over. So if it is a pie tin, it may get dumped. Northerns are great. Be sure you get one from a reputable breeder. Good luck and keep us posted.
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:15 pm

Agree with Janella (as I most often do!) about the water dish thing. Ceramic is best, he will certainly spill over anything lighter, and you wouldn't want damp substrate. A large one is a good idea, as one of mine is smart enough to soak herself in it before a shed. I may have a baby northern available, had one on hold and no one is getting back to me about it. Send PM if interested.
Zak
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Zak » Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:57 pm

Maybe one of those saucers you put under a plant pot :noknow:
Yeshika
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Yeshika » Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:34 pm

WIN_20180707_12_32_19_Pro.jpg

i use a baking dish, it's the only thing he hasn't been able to tip over!
sorry about the dark photo, took it this morning while i was cleaning his home
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
megamuff
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby megamuff » Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:03 pm

Personally, I don’t like undertank heaters. My little guy is in a 40 gallon breeder and all I need to keep him warm through the day is a 100 watt incandescent bulb, at night I use a 60 watt ceramic heat emitter. If you’re getting a Northern, I’d go with cypress mulch for the substrate. I agree with what the others were saying, you’ll need a couple of hides. I have the hide that’s on your list, part of a sewage pipe (I think that’s what it is lol), and some fake vines for him to hide under. For water, I use a zoo med ramp bowl. I can post a picture if you want of his enclosure so you can see the hides and stuff
Bear9354
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Bear9354 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:20 am

I am also soon getting a BLue Tongued Skink and Uber been doing a lot of research and as for substrate I would recommend cypress mulch or aspen mulch; cypress mulch is good for retaining moisture and keeping humidity levels stable and the brand I’ve most seen used is Forest Floor.
lifesagame
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby lifesagame » Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:28 am

I have a northern and was recommended coarse coconut husk and orchid bark mixed and he seems to like it plus it’s big enough and less dusty than the finer stuff I’ve seen, I’m not sure if that block in your list is the fine stuff rather than coarse. But I’m new to BTS too so more experienced people will have a better idea on that. I also found a load of cheap fake plants on eBay, if you want to go for fake plants it saves a lot compared to reptile branded ones or even standard ones in stores. He seems to like burrowing under them and climbing through them helps him get some shed off too.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”