Tanimbar BTS Taming need advice

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Edmundtiao
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Tanimbar BTS Taming need advice

Postby Edmundtiao » Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:38 pm

I’m planning to our purchase a WC Tanimbar. She is 2 years old and all of her life she has a aggressive and defensive attitude. I’m worried that I can tame or even make any progress. Being aggressive this long would it mean it would be permanent? Any want to share their experience with taming WC skinks ? :D
kayla990
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Re: Tanimbar BTS Taming need advice

Postby kayla990 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:05 pm

I think it's fair to say that it'll be a lot of work to tame. I'm sure you're already aware that the Tanimbar is known for being the most difficult to tame in the first place in addition to being WC (and already an adult). But I would say with the right method and a huge amount of patience - it should be possible! If I was in that situation, I would:

1. keep hands off for longer than the usual time (instead of 2 weeks, more like 4-5 weeks of not handling) and do trust building exercises:
2. feeding on tongs - wouldn't recommend hand feeding until much much later
3. Stay around the cage as much as possible to let them get used to your presence (talking to her, slow movements but all outside the cage)
4. Slowly build up her confidence with you doing things in the tank, wear gloves and put your hand slowly closer each day (such as put your hand in the opposite side of the tank for 15mins, not doing anything but keeping it on the substrate. Repeat the next day, slightly closer).
5. When you do want to try touch her or pick up, I'd still keep using gardening gloves - as presume at least the first few times she'll try to bite and be defensive still
6. Use treats as a reward for letting you closeby (along with distractions of using feeder insects, if she'd get excitable by them, can also encourage her to walk on your hand of her own choice).

Of course, I don't have first hand experience with taming a WC (or Tanimbar) but this is the approach I would use, and think it'll likely take a few years to build trust... otherwise https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qfY4laUwdo is a good source (ReptileMountainTV).
- Hons. Degree Animal Management -4 years volunteer in a Zoo -10 years volunteer in animal shelters -Enclosure enthusiast
Edmundtiao
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: Tanimbar BTS Taming need advice

Postby Edmundtiao » Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:23 pm

Yes I did watch TC’S VIdeo about handling difficult skinks. I’m well aware with all the things you said thank you!

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”