Strange coughing/choking sounds?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Orbicus
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Strange coughing/choking sounds?

Postby Orbicus » Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:44 am

I'm really nervous. My Northern Blue Tongue skink (who's about 2 years old) was making weird, coughing/choking noises. After a while they stopped, but he seemed to breathe weirdly and I could hear faint clicks every time he breathed in? I don't know.
Whnthsungoesdwn
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: Strange coughing/choking sounds?

Postby Whnthsungoesdwn » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:15 am

Possibly needs a vet visit to listen to those lungs.
kayla990
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Postby kayla990 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:57 am

Strange with the clicking noise while breathing - as usually that's related to humidity and RI infections. If you'd like we can confirm you have a Northern (just as some sellers mislabel their Blueys). How long would you say he was making the noises? And did he recently eat before it happened? I know at times they can struggle getting food down (or if they lay frequently with their heads downwards), but shouldn't last more than say 20-30 seconds. If the sounds happen again or the clicking sounds are continuing then best to get a check at the vets. All the best!
- Hons. Degree Animal Management -4 years volunteer in a Zoo -10 years volunteer in animal shelters -Enclosure enthusiast
Orbicus
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Orbicus » Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:36 pm

kayla990 wrote:Strange with the clicking noise while breathing - as usually that's related to humidity and RI infections. If you'd like we can confirm you have a Northern (just as some sellers mislabel their Blueys). How long would you say he was making the noises? And did he recently eat before it happened? I know at times they can struggle getting food down (or if they lay frequently with their heads downwards), but shouldn't last more than say 20-30 seconds. If the sounds happen again or the clicking sounds are continuing then best to get a check at the vets. All the best!

I think he had eaten at around 5 that night, and made the hacking noises at around 3 in the morning. They went on for about 10 seconds. His breathing no longer has a strange clicking noise, but there's a weird, quiet whistle when he breathes (maybe it's always been there and I'm just being paranoid). He's behaving like normal now, moving around and such.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”