New Skink??

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
temppora
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

New Skink??

Postby temppora » Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:01 pm

Hey there!! I recently got a Bluey about 4 days ago, and I have noticed that he hasn’t eaten since I got him? He’s only had two banana slices and a strawberry..
He was fed meal worms the day before I got him, so I was wondering if he’s just full?? Or is he stressed out, since I just got him..
I want to make sure that he is ok!!

Thank you so much~
Ray | They/Them | New Skink Owner
jdheff1982
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Your Facebook name: John D. Heffington

Re: New Skink??

Postby jdheff1982 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:59 pm

Howdy!

Congrats on the new skink! Guessing a Northern based on the graphic provided. We need to know a few things first: age, basking temps and non basking temps. Also, I might suggest steering clear of meal worms. They are not as nutritious as their name suggests. More chitinous than anything. Most of us feed a quality canned dog/cat food. I like getting wet dog food with mixed veggies in it and no grains. Blue brand is what I use.

Most animals (if not all) go through a stress phase while settling in to a new home. For skinks, this means a lot of hiding and little to no appetite. Although, each individual is different and may approach this stress differently. They can be motivated with food which allows for great trust building exercises.

For now, just let your new skink settle in for a week or so. Then start with trust building. Usually a blueberry (or some other treat) offered with your fingers is enough to entice them out. Don't be alarmed if it bites. It'll miss and grab a finger. The bite isn't hard, tho. Mine would sometimes bite just to see if my finger was food. It didn't hurt nor did it last long.

Don't be afraid to ask questions. That's what we are here for! Good luck!
Northern BTS Rosco born 6/27/2013 acquired 10/1/2013 -> My Gallery:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B7iQnlFQvJfMTDFxLVUwaEN5Z0E?usp=sharing
---------------------------------
Care Sheet: http://www.bluetongueskinks.net/
kingofnobbys
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Postby kingofnobbys » Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:14 am

if he's only little , a baby or juvenile …. best food for him IMO are

BSFL & SILKWORMS - these are close to perfect as staples , can be placed in dish for him to eat at his leisure
CRICKETS , ROACHES, LOCUSTS - gutloaded and dusted with Ca powder , these are faster and good as FINGER FOOD and ok as staples.

Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby 7.62 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:20 am

As another member stated more specifics about your blue and his setup would be helpful in answer weather or not it's normal. Without knowing any further info though I would guess it would be normal. Babies need to get fed more often than adults but being new to an environment really messes with their "normal habits", especially if they were shipped a long way. When I first got my BTS he barely ate for the first week, was hidden pretty much around the clock in was extremely jumpy whenever you try to come in contact with him after about a week he started eating regular full meals and is much less skittish. I'm seeing constant Improvement in him every single day. Most of these little guys seem to have a varying settling in period. Also, not sure how you are feeding him but I found that putting food in his encloser when it's quiet and stepping back away he would come out and eat but when was a lot of noise or I was too close trying to watch him he would just stay in hide. Congrats on the new blue hope you get to the bottom of things quickly!
megamuff
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby megamuff » Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:18 pm

You should try offering him some high quality cat food. I use wellness, halo, and blue buffalo on rotation. Also, the breeder I got mine from said to not give them any vegetation before they’re 6 months old, it messes with their scale development. From everything I’ve read and been told, the best thing to feed your skink is wet cat food, then switch to wet dog food after they’re a year old. Always make sure it’s high quality, the cheaper brands like pedigree aren’t good for them.
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN
Your Facebook name: Janella Poch

Postby Janella » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:06 pm

Hi, and congratulations on your new skink. As mentioned earlier, what kind is it? Can you provide more information about your set up also? This will help us provide you with the correct information on how to help.

As for stress, I would wait several weeks before handling. Definitely offer food and treats. Talk to your pet and be present. Let it get used to your routine.

As for diet. Visit the forums diet plan. This will help you make sure you are feeding your pet correctly.

Good luck!

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”