Reducing food while shedding?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
lifesagame
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Reducing food while shedding?

Postby lifesagame » Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:03 am

I mentioned this in a previous post but it’s happening again so I thought I’d ask this one thing specifically. When my baby skink is going to shed he stops pooping. I’m not too worried about it as last time he went five or six days and then the day after he shed made up for it with massive ones. The main thing that’s sort of worrying me is how full he feels. He’s almost solid today and wandering round looking chunky, not that he’s bothered by it apart from getting annoyed he can’t fit into his normal squeezing spaces, so was wondering if it might be a good idea to reduce his food when he’s shedding? He’s eating as much as always, it’s just not coming out the other end, so he wouldn’t starve if I skipped a meal but I also don’t want to do anything that might stress him and interrupt his shed. I know they can go for a while without eating when shedding anyway but that’s them choosing it and I wanted to check first.

I’m 90% sure a shed is coming up as he’s burying himself, sitting in the humid hide and the no pooping thing, which all happened last time. Also his scales have the duller look and almost look like there’s a second outline which happened last time and I know with my beardie used to mean he was going to shed there so I’m assuming it’s the same with skinks.

Any advice? I know I’m probably worrying about nothing as I’m new to skinks but I thought I’d ask in case it’s not good for them to stuff themselves! Also it’ll hopefully stop me worrying and wondering in the future as I have a feeling this may be just what happens when he sheds.
kingofnobbys
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Re: Reducing food while shedding?

Postby kingofnobbys » Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:28 am

I don't …. I offer and if the pet skinks and dragons are hungry they eat …. all mine have no drop off in appetite when in shed , if I try to cut back or give them a day without --> I get the stinkeye.
lifesagame
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: Reducing food while shedding?

Postby lifesagame » Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:22 am

Thanks :) I will keep with the feeding and see if he naturally feels full and leaves it. I'm just being overly cautious probably. My beardie used to leave his food rather than eat everything so it's also getting used to the differences between beardies and skinks.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”