Introduction

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
brettmallard
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Introduction

Postby brettmallard » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:17 pm

Hello everyone! Just acquired my first Bluey! He/She is a Kei Island BTS and was sold to me as a captive bred. I've attached a photo of him/her. Today is the second day that I've had her (will refer to her as a she from this point out). She drank and ate immediately upon being introduced to her enclosure. When I purchased her she hissed a little but once the breeder placed her into my hands she was docile and fine. I'm a novice (ok and maybe a bit chicken) with such a larger reptile (only having a tortoise and a Gargoyle Gecko prior), and she seems to hiss now anytime I put my hand near her to pick her up. Should I wait a few days to actually try and pick her up, or should I just confidently pick her up while she is hissing? Any help, suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks to those that reach out with suggestions.
kayla990
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Re: Introduction

Postby kayla990 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:21 am

Welcome! Gargoyle gecko's are so sweet and squishy (we have one too) - and wow your bluey is very pretty :D It's generally recommended to not try to handle for around 2 weeks to let them settle in. I would say the hissing is normal for a new bluey ^__^ just takes some trust building; such as moving slowly, talking to her, and hand feeding (can use tongs initially if you'd prefer, then move to hands once you both feel comfortable).

Once you do start to handle, the best approach seems to be confident whilst giving good body support. Goodluck!
- Hons. Degree Animal Management -4 years volunteer in a Zoo -10 years volunteer in animal shelters -Enclosure enthusiast
brettmallard
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: Introduction

Postby brettmallard » Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:25 am

kayla990 wrote:Welcome! Gargoyle gecko's are so sweet and squishy (we have one too) - and wow your bluey is very pretty :D It's generally recommended to not try to handle for around 2 weeks to let them settle in. I would say the hissing is normal for a new bluey ^__^ just takes some trust building; such as moving slowly, talking to her, and hand feeding (can use tongs initially if you'd prefer, then move to hands once you both feel comfortable).

Once you do start to handle, the best approach seems to be confident whilst giving good body support. Goodluck!

Thank you so much for the kind words and the advice.
Brett

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”