Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
bts143
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot

Postby bts143 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:03 pm

Hi. I just got a BTS today! I'm not sure if it's an Indo or Northern. When she comes out of her hide long enough I'll post a picture if I can figure out how. The guy at the exotic pet store wasn't sure of the sex or species. I have a concern. I currently have space limitations. Because the BTS is fairly small, the guy at the pet shop said a 20 gal tank would be okay for about a year. He set up the enclosure for me and put in a large piece of cork park. There is also a large water bowl and a food bowl. There isn't any room to put in another hide. The cork park is pretty long so I think on one side it will be cooler. There is also an UTH and top UVB basking light. Any suggestions, or do you think the set-up is okay. I want to be a good mother.
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot

Re: New Member

Postby 7.62 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:25 am

Hello and welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new BTS. I am a new BTS owner myself so I am no expert on them. What I can say based off of reading the FAQs, care sheets, etc. Is that a 20g tank will be much too small in the long run, especially if it is a Northern (being as they are the larger sub species) If it's still a baby or young juvenile you may be okay for a short time. Regardless of size its very important your Temps are right so they can properly thermoregulate their body Temps. As far as hides go I would have a minimum of two. One on cool side and one on the warm. This is definitely important. With the food bowl, it doesn't need to stay in there. It only needs to be in there during feeding and removed shortly after. (Assuming you plan on feeding in its home.) Lastly, I don't know about the cork material being used in there. It may be completely fine and I'm sure someone here will be able to give a definitive answer. My thoughts are it would be subject to chipping (and potentially ingested) , water retention (mold or humidity control issues) , or other issues. But again I'm not sure of this, just never saw anyone recommend using cork in their homes. Hope some of this helped and the real pros can answer some of the questions I couldn't. Congratulations again on the BTS!
bts143
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot

Re: New Member

Postby bts143 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:46 pm

Thanks for your reply, Tenderfoot! You actually helped a lot by mentioning that the food bowl doesn't need to stay in Roxxy's home. DUH! From now on it will be removed after Roxxy has eaten. I have seen cork bark as a suggested hide. I think that I will cut it in half and put the water bowl in the middle with one half of the cork bark on each end. I was told that Roxxy is only about a year old. She is pretty small and slender (in comparison to photos of Northerns) so I suspect that she is an Indo. The 20 gal tank is meant to be temporary, until I can find, or have made a narrow table that will fit in the only space available. Then I can get a bigger enclosure. The 20 gal just fits on top of a cabinet, not an ideal location. I will make an appointment for a well-check visit with an exotics (specifically reptile) vet next week. I want Roxxy to get acclimated to her new surroundings first. She has been in her hide most of the time since I got her yesterday. I fed her today and she did eat her dog food and blackberry but left the greens. I'll have to ask what she was being fed before I got her. Good luck with your new bluey.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”