Newbie question

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Newbie question

Postby 7.62 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:33 pm

Hello, first off I'm new to the forum and a new BTS owner. I will be receiving my BTS in a few days and have been tweaking his encloser in preparation. Before I ask my question, I will state that I did read FAQ and did a search but wasn't able to find a conversation with my specific problem/question. So my cool side is running around 75 degrees at its lowest point and 85 degrees on the warm side (air temp). My basking spot is a "stone like" (really more like some kind of resin) hide. I placed it directly under the heat lamp and UVB bulb for maximum exposure. When I use laser temp gun I get varying temps on the rock from 95 degrees up to 109 degrees at its peak spot. I know ideal temps are 90-100 for basking and most of the "rock" falls in that range but there is this one "hot spot". I have read that temps should not exceed 110 on the very high side. Should I worry about this? I want to make sure my little guy is safe and happy. If I need to reduce the temps I'm thinking moving the rock slightly offset from the lamp would be the best method but wanted the communities opinions. I don't think lowering bulb wattage would be a good option in my case because I started with a lower wattage bulb and got good surface temps but air temp was too low on both sides. Im open to any other options I may not be considering. Thanks in advance for your help!
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN
Your Facebook name: Janella Poch

Re: Newbie question

Postby Janella » Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:39 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum. What type of skink are you getting? Have you tried moving the basking spot slightly off set and see what your temps are? I don't think your temps will be a problem though. Good luck with your new skink.
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby 7.62 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:18 am

Janella, thanks for the reply. I have a northern BTS. I did rearrange the layout of the tank and was able to achieve the results I was looking for. My little guy climbed right up on his rock shortly after I introduced him to his new home so I guess that's a good sign! :-) Max surface temp is now 102 at the peak of his basking rocking with an average of 95 over the entire surface when measuring with a temperature gun.
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby Janella » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:53 am

That is wonderful news. Congratulations on your new Northern. That is wonderful. Send us pictures when you get a chance.
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby 7.62 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:33 am

Here he is soaking up the rays!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby Janella » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:30 am

Adorable!!! Congratulations again

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”