New BTS avoiding the uv lamp?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Skinkertons
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

New BTS avoiding the uv lamp?

Postby Skinkertons » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:56 pm

Hey! I'm a brand new baby BTS owner. He's about 2-3 months old. I got my BTS 2 days ago and he ate a lot right away (once I left the room) and explored his terrarium a bit (I peaked at him through the curtains). However, I found he ended up just hiding in the far most corner in the right (that was the "cool" side at the time). I was home most of the day and did not see him use the uv lamp at all. The next day, he was still hiding in that corner. I had to go to work and was worried he wasn't getting enough of the uv so I swapped the lights to see if he was just afraid to go into the warm side since it doesn't have a nice cave like the cool side did. Later, I found him in the moss on the opposite (the new cool side, previously the warm side) of the tank within an hour. I think he does stay near the ceramic light bulb though, but I'm not sure if it's just because it's near the back of the tank where the better hiding spots are.

I'm worried he isn't going to get enough of the uv and get sick. A friend recommended I buy a fixture with uv lighting but no heating in it. I'm probably going to do that, but I was wondering...is my current uv bulb just too hot? Should I be using it all if he's hiding from it? Will the new uv fixture help at all when he's always hiding in moss, caves, etc? I'm just worried since it's probably 3 days he hasn't been in the uv light now (unless he sneaks there in secret, but I found him in the same spot I saw him in this morning). I'm not even sure if he is drinking or pooping. He also did not eat today (day 2). It's summer, so maybe it is too hot for the lamp? I have him in the basement, but I think the temp in our basement is about 75 degrees Fahrenheit. I've included photos of the terrarium when it was first set up, a photo of the skink, and the uv bulb I have.

I'm terribly sorry if I'm confusing, but I myself am confused and worried. I'd appreciate any help you guys have to offer!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kayla990
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Re: New BTS avoiding the uv lamp?

Postby kayla990 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:16 am

Cool tank! As he grows you may find you'll need a larger open floor space, but I can imagine he must enjoy exploring there :D

Admitably, I'm not great with the technicalities of bulbs - but I would suspect that it is a bit too strong for him (100w seems quite strong for the height distance, does it give a guide on the height to floor level on the box?). I've not heard of that brand before, but know that certain brands are likely to cause conditions known as photo-kerato-conjunctivitis. It should be fine to use a combined heater/uv for a basking spot (we use Solar Raptor 35w, which gives both UVA/UVB).

How is your little one doing now? Very pretty! :D Have they started eating frequently?

And if you're giving him d3+calcium supplements, he shouldn't become sick from avoiding the UV lights (some keepers don't provide UV at all, it can be done with a good diet + supplements, but similar to yourself we like to provide a UV light in addition).
- Hons. Degree Animal Management -4 years volunteer in a Zoo -10 years volunteer in animal shelters -Enclosure enthusiast
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:45 am

When I kept Halmaheras they would bask in the morning for a bit then spend most of the day on the cool side. They really don't like to be dry. I used that type light (Powersun) back when I kept in glass caging with no bad affects, although they bothered my eyes, possibly bothering his? I wouldn't think so as their eyes are not on top of their heads! Possibly he is warm enough elsewhere in that castle he's got there, and doesn't find the need for the heat lamp. Cute little guy, and looks like he's going to be quite spoiled! I don't want to start an argument here but I doubt the power of artificial lighting to provide adequate uvb. I no longer use uvb, and my skinks breed like bunnies and are very happy, healthy, and I've raised countless babies. All the best with your new little cutie!
kingofnobbys
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Postby kingofnobbys » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:20 am

I'd check the temperature at the basking spot …. may be it's too hot for the little baby BT and that's why it's avoiding it.

I've also had pet skinks who were reluctant to stay under the UV globe , I solved the problem by placing it's water dish under the globe , which warmed the water a little (to about 30-31 degC) and my young skink then happily stayed there sitting in the shallow tepid water .

Try a shallow acrylic (fake rock) feeder / water dish that's big enough for the little skink to sit in and keep the water shallow (no deeper than half it's body thickness (don't want drowning in the water dish if it doses off (it will likely like it there and nap while having a soak) , this way the rest of the body is exposed to the UV.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”